Saanich waits for ruling on appeal of 2004 police shooting

The District of Saanich seeks to overturn a 2011 B.C. Supreme Court decision in the shooting death of Majencio Camaso.

The B.C. Court of Appeal heard submissions last week as the District of Saanich seeks to overturn a 2011 B.C. Supreme Court decision that found a Saanich police officer “grossly negligent” in the shooting death of Majencio Camaso.

In April 2011, Justice Grant Burnyeat ruled that Const. Kristopher Dukeshire’s actions on July 11, 2004 negligently resulted in the death of Camaso.

“Dukeshire breached the duty of care owed to Mr. Camaso when he did not use the least amount of force necessary to carry out his duties,” Burnyeat wrote in his judgment.

He also said the Saanich police investigation into the death was negligent for a number of reasons, including the failure “to test the theory of whether Const. Dukeshire had reasonable grounds to believe it was necessary to shoot Mr. Camaso to protect himself.”

Burnyeat also ordered Saanich pay $354,000 in losses and damages to the Camaso family.

Saanich, on its end, entirely disputes the Supreme Court ruling, and that the officer used appropriate force for the circumstances.

Saanich’s municipal solicitor Chris Nation said this week that the Court of Appeal has reserved its decision, and has given no indication to either party when a ruling will be made.

“There’s a pretty substantial volume of material in front of them, so it’s likely not to be made that quickly,” Nation said.

On July 11, 2004, Camaso’s wife Teresa called 9-1-1 because her husband, who had known mental health issues, had attempted to set their apartment on fire.

A foot chase involving Camaso, three attending Saanich police officers and an ambulance attendant ensued when Camaso, 33, evaded police.

In a field at the former Richmond elementary school, Dukeshire fired three shots at Camaso, who was running at him brandishing one or two metal objects (possibly a pipe and crowbar).

kslavin@saanichnews.com

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Victims tell of abuse at hands of Victoria substitute teacher

Harry Charles Sadd pleaded guilty to eight charges that took place between 1970 to 1982

2020 Budget: ICBC ‘dumpster fire’ to turn into $86M surplus, NDP say

ICBC operating with $91-million deficit for 2019-2020 fiscal year

Victoria budtenders become first private cannabis workers to unionize in Canada

Two of seven Clarity Cannabis storefronts vote to join UFCW 1518 union

Victoria police ask victims of human trafficking to come forward in light of recent arrests

Four people from Vancouver Island were arrested in Saskatchewan on Jan. 28

VIDEO: 7 things you need to know about the 2020 B.C. budget

Surplus of $227 million with big spending on infrastructure and capital projects

POLL: Do you support the proposed changes for ICBC?

Tuesday’s provincial budget predicted a shift from shortfall to surplus in wake… Continue reading

New highway proposed between Alberta and B.C.

The route would connect Red Deer to Kamloops

What’s in a name? The story of Revelstoke’s Mt. Begbie

It’s likely the iconic peak had several Indigenous peoples’ names before settlers arrived

Budget 2020: B.C. Liberals blast ‘Netflix tax,’ lack of economic plan

ICBC rates still go up, except in election year, Shirley Bond says

Teen snowmobiler from Kelowna found after air force’s overnight search

The teen had been missing since just after 6 p.m. on Monday

Two law enforcement trucks ‘deliberately’ set on fire in northern B.C., RCMP say

Police say they have video evidence of a person in the area of the truck fires

Nanaimo man wins lotto, plans to buy $16,000 fridge

Curtis Wright a winner in Lotto 6/49 draw

Sooke Wrestling Club shows muscle in first season

Three earn spots in B.C. championships

Most Read