Security ramping up for Remembrance Day

No specific threats received about Nov. 11 but police forces will have added security resources on duty.

At Remembrance Day ceremonies Nov. 11

This year’s Remembrance Day ceremonies will take on an added air of security as local police forces plan to commit personnel to watch over events across the Island.

“It’s the reality we are living in today,” said Corporal Darren Lagan, RCMP media relations officer for the Island District, based in Victoria.

The increased security posture follows in the wake of the killing of a reservist soldier in Ottawa last month, as well as the death of a soldier in Quebec when a man driving a a car struck two soldiers not long before the shooting at Canada’s War Memorial. What followed was an order for off-duty military personnel to cease wearing their uniforms in public as a security precaution.

Captain Jenn Jackson, base public affairs officer at Canadian Forces Base Esquimalt, said they are working with local law enforcement on security at Remembrance Day ceremonies. As the events take place off-base, she said the jurisdiction over them falls to police forces.

The RCMP, said Lagan, will commit resources to security at Remembrance Day events large and small, where their members are taking part. The highly-visible red serge will still be there, he said, but said additional personnel will be allocated to keep an eye on the event. He would not give specifics on planned operations, adding the RCMP is communicating with municipal police forces and the Department of National Defence.

Lagan said the RCMP and municipal police forces are looking at the size of each event — from the larger Nov. 11 ceremonies at the B.C. Legislature, to smaller ones in communities like Sidney — and determining what resources to deploy.

He emphasized that the RCMP have not received any specific threats nor any information to support a higher risk concern at the Remembrance Day events.

“It’s a precaution, absolutely,” he sad. “We need to ensure that if we need to take steps, we have the correct resources available.”

Lagan reiterated that there have been no threat warnings and people attending Remembrance Day ceremonies should be able to do so safely, as they have done before.

Constable Mike Russell of the Victoria Police said they have received no information on any threats to Remembrance Day events in their jurisdiction. He said in a message to the News Review that it’s business as usual — the department will have traffic officers in place to direct vehicles around the ceremony at the cenotaph at the Legislature. VicPD members will be taking part in Remembrance Day events in both downtown Victoria and Esquimalt, he said.

Central Saanich Constable Jason Sneek said his department will have an increased presence and operational plan at that community’s Remembrance Day ceremony at municipal hall. Sneek said there has been no threat made to the department.

Just Posted

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to fall fake eagle tree at Ogden Point

Last year a fake tree was installed to try to entice eagles to stay in the area, without much success

Ambitious B.C. Aviation Museum need $10M to get iconic Lancaster back in the air

Volunteers flock to work on bomber, restoration expected to take 10 years

Saanich to potentially host first hydrogen fuel station on Vancouver Island

Station proposed for corner of Quadra Street and McKenzie Avenue

Three children to run Victoria as ‘Mayors’ on Tuesday

Local kids will be honorary mayors for a day

Langford man sentenced to 15 months for child pornography collection

Andre Mollon sentenced for posession of more than 1,000 child pornography images and 70 videos

Victoria hosts ‘Ultimate Hockey Fan Cave’

The hockey cave was recently featured on a Netflix special

Inspirational Vancouver Island youngster dies after battle with brain cancer

Kaiden Finley ‘was seriously the strongest 11-year-old’

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

Most Read