Teen who aged out of government care found dead in Surrey tent

The 19-year-old woman was in an area popular with homeless campers, officials say.

A young woman who recently aged out of government care was found dead earlier this week in a tent in Surrey, officials said.

The 19-year-old was found in a tent at King George Boulevard and 132 Street on Wednesday afternoon, said Jeff Rud, spokesperson for B.C.’s representative for children and youth. He could not confirm how long ago she had turned 19.

B.C. Children and Family Development Minister Stephanie Cadieux was unavailable to speak to The Leader directly, but she did issue an emailed  statement regarding the death of the young woman.

“This young person’s death is a tragedy and I feel for the family and friends,” said Cadieux. “Without speaking to any specific case, I can tell you that we would automatically conduct a case review into the death of a 19-year-old who, in the previous 12 months, had been in the ministry’s care. This allows us to refine our policies and practices where needed.”

Also in the statement, a ministry spokesperson noted the majority of youth are not looking to remain in foster care into their adult years and are instead looking for a degree of supported independence and the ability to access ongoing resources to help them follow their own individual plans for adulthood.

“We recognize there is always more we can do, and there are a number of efforts underway across government aimed at better supporting young people as they transition from care. Currently, however, the services and programs we can provide are all voluntary. The ministry has no legal authority to force someone to engage with the resources that are available to them.”

The B.C. Coroners Service confirmed it is investigating the case as well.

 

Just Posted

Shaving minutes off commutes among the goals for Victoria bus lanes

Work on southbound Douglas Street lane between Tolmie and Hillside getting underway

VicPD nab distracted driver with expired licence

On the phone while in motion, man had overdue fines from driving while impaired

Cooking with ‘Killer’

Reporter Dawn Gibson shares some of her favourite meals to make

Vic-Alert faces tidal wave of registration after tsunami warnings

City of Victoria system is free and provides early warnings of disaster

Sirens don’t sing in tsunami warning for Esquimalt

Officials pleased with process, say sirens would have been activated had threat escalated.

WATCH: Greater Victoria residents gather at higher ground during tsunami warning

Ocean Boulevard and the Esquimalt Lagoon reopened shortly before 5 a.m. Tuesday

Saanich signals support for in-fill developments in Gorge-Tillicum

The Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood continues to experience infill. Council’s committee-of-the-whole signaled Saanich’s support… Continue reading

Castlegar homicide victim identified

The victim was 38-year-old Jordan Workman of Castlegar, B.C.

B.C. Liberal leadership candidates get one last prime-time pitch

Leadership campaign to be decided in Feb. 3 vote

How high is safe from a tsunami? Four metres above sea level

Be disaster ready with food, water and clothing for seven days

Victoria Film Festival set for triumphant return to the big screen

Two decades on, diverse film lineups keep movie-goers coming to the box office

Andrew Scheer on trade, Trump and Trudeau

Canada’s Conservative leader begins three-day visit to B.C.

Victoria’s most wanted for the week of Jan. 23

Crime Stoppers will pay a reward of up to $2,000 for information that leads to arrests or the seizure of property or drug

Victims restrained, sex toys and cash stolen from B.C. adult store

Armed suspects sought in adult store robbery

Most Read