UPDATE: City of Victoria axes sustainability department

Eliminated positions to save Victoria taxpayers $500,000 annually

The City of Victoria has laid off its director of sustainability and is eliminating the entire department, part of an effort to cut millions of dollars from next year’s budget.

Three staff positions – a sustainability analyst and two senior planners – have been reassigned to the planning and development department. The branch will now be known as the department of sustainable planning and community development, said Katie Hamilton, director of communications.

A consultant’s review released Aug. 2 on city operations recommended axing the four-person sustainability department and integrating some functions into other departments, but the decision to proceed on that recommendation wasn’t announced until today.

“It’s a tough day,” said Mayor Dean Fortin. “We recognize that when you eliminate positions, there are good people behind those positions.”

Organizational changes introduced earlier this month and today translate to three fewer management positions and $500,000 in annual savings, Fortin said, adding he doesn’t anticipate further staff reductions this year.

“Those are savings that will continue each and every year,” he said. “We feel the outcome of the organizational review is complete now.”

The mandate of the former sustainability department is already entrenched in many municipal decisions, thanks in part to a revamped Official Community Plan, Fortin said. City hall will continue to work towards increasing alternative modes of transportation, affordable housing, community gardens and other sustainable initiatives, he added.

Councillors will set budgets for 2014 and 2015 at the end of September and have committed to maintaining a 3.25 per cent tax increase for both years.

Fortin said council is continuing to examine other sources of revenue, like naming rights for the Victoria Conference Centre and advertising at city parkades. The city’s executive director of economic development is also due to report back to council in September.

“Fundamentally, we recognize economic development is top priority,” Fortin said.

dpalmer@vicnews.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Claremont Spartans win the inaugural Senior Girls’ AAAA Basketball Island Championship

Claremont Spartans win their Feb. 15 game agains the Royal Bay Ravens 71 - 64

Campus View Elementary undergoes $4.2 million in seismic upgrades

Campus View Elementary undergoes significant seismic upgrades

Sidney company tastes sweet success with sugar kelp

Cascadia Seaweed is experiencing rapid growth after launching six months ago

North Saanich floats tougher policies for buoys and moorings near Tsehum Harbour

Municipality also considers additional collaboration with Sidney and other communities

Westin Bear Mountain invests $2 million to renovate newly-named spa

‘Amatista Spa’ has yet to announce official opening date

VIDEO: Minister reports ‘modest progress’ after blockade talks with First Nation

Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs say Coastal GasLink does not have authority to go through their lands

Henrique scores 2 as Ducks soar past Canucks 5-1

Vancouver tumbles out of top spot in Pacific Division

Trudeau cancels Caribbean trip amid pipeline protests across Canada

Protests against Coastal GasLink have disrupted rail service

B.C. VIEWS: Inaction on pipeline protests not a viable response

Columnist Frank Bucholtz on how the Coastal GasLink pipeline dispute got so bad

PHOTOS: Top 10 memories of the 2010 Olympics

Black Press Media’s Jenna Hauck, shares some of her most memorable images of 2010 Winter Games

#FoxForFiver: Support grows in B.C. to put Terry Fox on new $5 bill

Terry Fox’ Marathon of Hope raised money for cancer research

Trudeau confers with cabinet ministers as rail blockades continue

The Trudeau government has been criticized for not doing more to end the blockades

Canadian nurses’ unions warn national standards for coronavirus protection too low

President says safety protocols nationwide are inadequate compared to those in Ontario and other countries

Most Read