Broken glass littered the front of the Real Taste of India restaurant and a thick, acrid smell of smoke wafted through the air at noontime Monday after a kitchen fire heavily damaged the rear of the space at 768 Fort St.
Firefighters arrived on scene around 9 a.m. and found smoke billowing from the roof of the low one-storey building. After attacking from the roof and determining the extent of the flames, crews entered the building from the front and quickly contained the fire, said Victoria Fire Department Capt. Gary Birtwistle.
Investigators had not given a damage estimate by 1 p.m., but it was clear the restaurant, which has an adjacent tea and dessert shop, would be likely be closed for some time.
The other two merchants in the building, Oscar and Libby’s card shop and Pho Vy restaurant, were saved from the blaze when firefighters pressurized their spaces using fans, Birtwistle said, although both were smoke damaged. He added both could likely reopen once power was restored to the building.
Operators at Oscar and Libby’s were directing customers to their other store in Market Square in the meantime.
Fort Street was closed for a short period in the morning as fire crews attacked the fire.