Tudor House Pub and liquor store general manager Tim Dumas

UPDATE: Victoria food and beverage industry rallies to help displaced pub workers

Tudor House boss scrambles to help keep employees in jobs

(This story has updated information to go along with details filed last week)

With news of the fire that destroyed the Tudor House Pub and Liquor Store finding a far-reaching audience, messages from well-wishers, friends in the business and media continue to fill Tim Dumas’ voice mail.

So far, about half of the two dozen employees left jobless by the July 16 fire have been placed elsewhere said Dumas, Tudor House general manager.

“There’s still some work to do, but there’s been some companies that have reached out and are looking for people,” he said Monday. “There’s been many dozens of leads, many of which have turned into jobs.”

The majority of job leads have come from the food and beverage industry, Dumas said.

Many staff have worked at the pub for years, Dumas said. And at least two dual-income households saw both breadwinners put out of work by the July 16 fire, he added.

Some staffers are among three generations of family members who have worked at the pub or liquor store, he said.

The pub, built in 1904, has been part of the Dumas family for 30 years. Tim Dumas’ own connection began as a kid, when he would accompany his father, Paul – a former Tudor House owner – to the pub before opening time and would bum quarters to play the Pac-Man video game.

The Esquimalt Fire Department continues to investigate the blaze for possible causes, but has ruled out the possibility the fire was intentionally set.

Dumas was somewhat guarded about the future of the operation, which began life in 1904 and is currently owned by a company called Dirty Digger Holdings.

“We have the intention of moving on and rebuilding, but it’s much too early to speculate at this time,” he said, after excavators had gathered the remaining walls and foundation into large piles.

“My main objective right now is to help my staff find meaningful employment.”

ddescoteau@vicnews.com

Local country band helping out

Victoria-based country music band Montgomery County, monthly performers at the Tudor House Pub over the past year and a half, are putting on a benefit concert to help out displaced employees of the pub, which burned down this week. Details are still being ironed out, but a tentative date of Sept. 7 at the Esquimalt Legion has been set for the event. Watch for more information at islandentertainers.com.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Camosun student shares story of overcoming struggles to inspire others

Provincial Tuition Waiver Program helps former youths in care attend post-secondary institutions

Local Monarchist says Saanich Peninsula would be a ‘great place’ for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Bruce Hallsor also expects the couple’s professional opportunities to lie outside Greater Victoria

Court rejects mistrial for accused Victoria drug dealer who fired his lawyer

Horst Schirmer filed a mistrial application on basis of receiving incompetent representation

Officials reaching out to those in contact with Canada’s first coronavirus patient

The illness has sickened at least 1,975 people and killed 56 in China

‘Devastated’: Fans, celebrities remember Kobe Bryant after his death

Bryant played all of his 20-year career with the NBA with the Los Angeles Lakers

Investigation launched after six dead puppies dumped in Richmond hotel parking lot

RAPS reminds people they can always give up puppies they can’t take care of

Canadian Lunar New Year celebrations dampened by coronavirus worries

But Health Minister Patty Hajdu said today that the risk of infection is low

B.C. VIEWS: New coronavirus outbreak an important reminder

Walking the line between cautious and alarmist

Kobe Bryant, daughter killed in California helicopter crash

Bryant entered the NBA draft straight out of high school in 1996

Risk of coronavirus low in B.C. as first case emerges in Toronto: officials

There have been no confirmed cases of the virus in B.C.

‘Presumptive case’ of coronavirus in Canada confirmed by Ontario doctors

Man in his 50s felt ill on his return to Canada from Wuhan, China

Most Read