Vic West porch fire started with cigarette butt in planter

Victoria fire department warns against potential dangers of butting out in potting soil

Fire department officials say a lit cigarette butt in a back-porch planter caused a fire at the back of a home in the 700-block of Wilson Street early Saturday morning.

A crew arrived at the house at about 2 a.m. to find the back porch on fire. After starting in the planter, the fire spread up the outside walls at the rear of the house and towards the attic.

Residents of the home, none of whom were injured, helped keep the fire from spreading by using a garden hose and buckets of water. Firefighters managed to knock the fire down and prevent it from going into the attic.

Damage caused by the fire was estimated at $20,000. Afterwards, fire officials described how butting out cigarettes in planters can be an unsafe practice.

“Due to the large amount of peat moss often found in planter soil, the cigarette butts may not extinguish, and instead cause the peat to smolder and then ignite,” a department statement read. “Peat moss can smolder for long periods of time.”

editor@vicnews.com

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image