Harry Charles Sadd, a 74-year-old former badminton coach, pleaded guilty to eight charges relating to sexual abuse that took place between 1970 and 1984. (RCMP handout)

Victims tell of abuse at hands of Victoria substitute teacher

Harry Charles Sadd pleaded guilty to eight charges that took place between 1970 to 1982

Editor’s Note: This story contains disturbing content.

A sentencing hearing for Harry Charles Sadd, 74, heard that the ex-badminton coach and teacher meets the criteria for pedophilic disorder, according to a psychiatric assessment.

Sadd pleaded guilty to eight charges relating to sexual abuse between the years of 1970 to 1982. A number of his victims, all young boys at the time of the abuse, were in court on Tuesday.

Sadd, whose wife was diabetic and became blind in the early years of their marriage, owned a painting company, in addition to substitute teaching in School Districts 61, 62 and 63.

The court heard how Sadd’s seven victims were between the ages of nine and 13 when the abuse first started, lasting in some cases for years.

RELATED: Former Greater Victoria badminton coach pleads guilty to 8 counts of sexual abuse

R.D., the first victim to come forward, met Sadd when he was nine years old. Sadd began sexually assaulting R.D. when his stepfather died, but the abuse stopped when R.D.’s family moved away for a year. When the family moved back to the Esquimalt area the abuse started again.

Sadd admits there were over 200 instances of sexual abuse after R.D. turned 12.

After R.D. went to police in 2016, a press release was issued asking for more victims to come forward, resulting in 23 new charges, some of which are still pending in the Supreme Court and are expected to be dealt with following this case.

R.D.’s victim impact statement, read out loud by Crown prosecutor Leslie Baskerville, spoke about the pain, stress and strain years of abuse put on his life, along with his wife and children. “Every time I see a Volvo … or smell strong tobacco … every time I watch sports … every time I see a blind person … every time I smell paint [ I’m reminded].”

RELATED: Victoria man charged in historical sexual assaults granted bail

When R.D. would object, Sadd told him to stop “listening to his head and listen to his body,” which was aroused due to Sadd’s touching.

D.C., another young boy abused by Sadd, met him at church and was invited to Sadd’s apartment afterward and introduced him to alcohol. Sadd taught D.C. to drive with him seated on his lap or while he fondled D.C. from the passenger seat. The Sunday afternoon drives, coupled with sexual abuse, became a weekly routine until Sadd moved to Hinton, Alta. to teach full time. Sadd was expelled from the Alberta Teaching Association for allegedly committing sexual offences against three boys. The allegations were dealt with in a tribunal, but not in a court of law.

D.C. read his victim impact statement in court and spoke about the impact the abuse had not only on him, but on his mother who was “devastated and rocked to her core” to learn about the abuse that had been hidden for years. D.C. spoke about the guilt he feels, not having come forward earlier. “How many could have been saved if I had done my part? I’m not to blame but I carry the burden.”

The court heard how the abuse took place in communal showers after badminton practice, on camping trips in shared tents and during overnight tournaments.

The sentencing hearing is expected to continue on Wednesday.



kendra.crighton@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Lost dog reunited with family three months after going missing along Juan de Fuca trail

‘The poor thing was skin and bones,’ says one of the Sooke rescuers

Victoria family donates 878 falafel wraps to support Beirut blast victims

Wrap and Roll pulls in $20,500 during weekend fundraiser

Reimagined campaign continues to make Vancouver Island wishes come true

#UnWinedOutside allows participants to support Make-A-Wish Foundation, local businesses

Laid-off hotel workers begin hunger strike demanding job protection

Laid-off workers not sure what they’ll do when government support programs end

Police investigating string of break-ins at closed Saanich care home

Electronics, tools reported stolen from Mount Tolmie Hospital

B.C. records 30-50 new COVID-19 cases a day over weekend, no new deaths

Many of those testing positive were identified by contact tracing for being linked to other confirmed infections

Five B.C. First Nations call out Canada for ‘discriminatory’ food fish practices

West Coast nations say government ignoring court-won right to chinook and coho

Rent-relief program becomes new front in fight between Liberals, opposition

Opposition trying to draw parallels between decision to have Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp. run program and the WE controversy

Nanaimo woman will buy ‘supersonic’ hair dryer after $500,000 lotto win

Debra Allen won $500,000 in July 28 Lotto Max draw

Ottawa sets minimum unemployment rate at 13.1% for EI calculation

Statistics Canada says the unemployment rate was 10.9 per cent in July

Cougar euthanized after attacking little dog in Qualicum area

Owner freed pet by whacking big cat, but dog didn’t survive the attack

$45K in donations received after couple’s sudden death in Tulameen

Sarah MacDermid, 31, and Casey Bussiere, 37, died August long weekend

Famous Yukon-based bhangra dancer brings movements of joy to Long Beach

Internet-famous dancer is exploring Vancouver Island, visiting the B.C. Legislature and more

Most Read