Victoria Fire Department reminds public to be vigilant with butts after fire sparks in Topaz Park

A potentially dangerous fire was extinguished at Topaz Park earlier this week.

  • Jul. 22, 2015 6:00 p.m.

The Victoria Fire Department is reminding people to use extreme caution when discarding smoking materials after a potentially dangerous fire was extinguished at Topaz Park earlier this week.

A 911 caller alerted the department to a wind-fed grass fire that spread into the trees at the park on the corner of Finlayson and Quadra streets around 5:10 p.m. on Tuesday.

A general alarm was struck sending multiple apparatus into the area.

Crews from the Bay and Yates street stations were able to extinguish the rapidly spreading ground cover fire to stop it from reaching near-by residences and got the blazes under control.

Crews believe due to the amount of chip mulch, there would have been an opportunity for the fire to jump to residences lining the north east boundary of the park.

The cause of the fire was likely due to smoking materials that were not properly discarded.

“The Victoria Fire Department would like to take this time to caution people about the unusually dry conditions and exercise extreme caution when discarding spent smoking materials,” said the department in a release.