Victoria Fire Department reminds public to be vigilant with butts after fire sparks in Topaz Park

A potentially dangerous fire was extinguished at Topaz Park earlier this week.

  • Jul. 22, 2015 6:00 p.m.

The Victoria Fire Department is reminding people to use extreme caution when discarding smoking materials after a potentially dangerous fire was extinguished at Topaz Park earlier this week.

A 911 caller alerted the department to a wind-fed grass fire that spread into the trees at the park on the corner of Finlayson and Quadra streets around 5:10 p.m. on Tuesday.

A general alarm was struck sending multiple apparatus into the area.

Crews from the Bay and Yates street stations were able to extinguish the rapidly spreading ground cover fire to stop it from reaching near-by residences and got the blazes under control.

Crews believe due to the amount of chip mulch, there would have been an opportunity for the fire to jump to residences lining the north east boundary of the park.

The cause of the fire was likely due to smoking materials that were not properly discarded.

“The Victoria Fire Department would like to take this time to caution people about the unusually dry conditions and exercise extreme caution when discarding spent smoking materials,” said the department in a release.

 

Just Posted

Mad Hatter’s Ball offers laughs in support of Boys and Girls Club

Annual fundraising event features improv performances at McPherson Playhouse May 24

Penelakut filmmaker Steve Sxwithul’txw finds success in film and TV

Cop-turned-storyteller reaches back to his past for Tribal Police Files

Choir offers a capella take on Beatles hits

Soundings will perform concerts in Oak Bay and Sidney May 24 and 25

VIDEO: Scorpion found in B.C. woman’s kitchen finds new home in Victoria

The Victoria Bug Zoo welcomed the scorpion on Saturday

VIDEO: Horseshoe pitching association appeals to Greater Victora youngsters

Youth horseshoe pitching club offers fun for all ages, says GVHPA

Update: Mother dead, child in critical condition after carbon monoxide poisoning at Shuswap campground

The woman was found unresponsive insider her tent and the youth was taken via air ambulance to hospital

Canada’s parole officers say correctional system has reached breaking point

About half of Canada’s federal parole officers work inside penitentiaries and correctional institutions

Montreal researchers create audible hockey puck for visually impaired players

Three years ago, Gilles Ouellet came up with the idea for a puck that makes a continuous sound

Vancouver Island MusicFest: ‘House bands’ from the golden age of rock and R&B

Some of America’s greatest session musicians are coming to the Comox Valley this summer

Former B.C. Greyhound bus drivers head to Penticton for goodbye party

Big bash runs until Sunday, funded by drink cans left behind on busses over the years

Boy, 12, arrested after allegedly pulling a knife on another child at a Surrey park

The child was later released into his parents’ custody as Surrey RCMP continue their investigation

Full-scale search underway for missing kayaker on Okanagan Lake

Kelowna Paddle Centre member Zygmunt Janiewicz, 71, failed to return from his ‘daily kayak’ on the lake

Bucks hammer Raptors 125-103 to take 2-0 playoff series lead

Toronto heads home in a hole after second loss to Milwaukee

Most Read