Victoria Fire blocked off Alpha Street at Douglas Thursday around 8:30 a.m. after reports came in of a power line fire earlier that morning.
Fried lines could be seen hanging down from electrical poles above business Colonial Countertops, where electricity was out. One employee said the line had snapped and caused severe sparking that looked and sounded like small explosions.
Tracey Lamoureux, owner of Creative Spaciz, a business located across the street – said BC Hydro started doing work in the area last night.
“BC Hydro sent us notices over the last couple months that we would need to shut down any computers and systems in our offices so we wouldn’t have surges that would cause any problems,” she said. “Last night they did the work and I heard that something went wrong with it this morning.”
Fire crews arrived to find the line still sparking and a small blaze burning at the base of the pole. They allowed the flame to burn out and waited for BC Hydro to arrive and assess the situation. Alpha Street was closed to traffic while the lines were repaired.
Fire crews arrived to find this line sparking after it blew. They allowed the flame to burn out and are now waiting for BC Hydro to arrive. Alpha Street is closed to traffic in the mean time. @VictoriaNews pic.twitter.com/TOf5lpHJji— Nina Grossman (@NinaGrossman) February 7, 2019
Victoria Fire is at Alpha Street and Douglas where there was reports of a power line fire earlier this morning. A business owner across the street said BC Hydro started doing work in the area last night. @VictoriaNews pic.twitter.com/YguXF0YKQB— Nina Grossman (@NinaGrossman) February 7, 2019