Saanich police are looking for anyone with information on a vicious, unprovoked attack that occurred in Hampton Park last week.
Two men in the 50s were walking through the park, near Tillicum Centre, around 10:45 p.m on July 25.
They passed a group of four young men, who started following the older men, then challenged them, began swearing and demanded money.
One of the young men struck a 52-year-old Saanich man in the side of the head with what is believed to have been a baseball bat. He was left with a concussion and a three-inch gash in his head.
“This is a very, very serious assault,” said Sgt. Dean Jantzen.
The group of young men ran off, and a Saanich police canine unit was unsuccessful in tracking them down.
The only description police have of the suspects is they were all young men, between the ages of 14 and 20.
“If you know something about this, or you’re one of those four people and are disturbed by what has happened, If you know someone who might be bragging about this on various social media, whether it be Facebook or Twitter, or in fact have heard someone talking about this publicly, we do want hear from you,” Jantzen said. “We are at at a loss in this investigation. … Unfortunately there’s little for our officers to go on.”
Anyone with information is asked to call Saanich police at 250-475-4321 or, if you with to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.