Skip to content

LETTER: Marijuana has near-fatal consequences for Sidney dog

(Black Press Media file photo)

After many hours in the Central Victoria Veterinary Hospital where my small dog was treated for ingesting marijuana he found in long grass adjacent to the corner of Harbour Road and Bowden while we were on our morning walk, I returned home (Sidney) with a very sick pup.

His symptoms were severe drowsiness and inability to stand or walk and a telltale odour on his breath. We thought we might lose him. Two days and $523 later for stomach pumping, administration of charcoal and other treatments, he is mostly recovered.

I urge pet owners to be vigilant when walking their pets as it might be difficult to know what they could suddenly eat, something unseen and potentially deadly.

Mona Acker