Spencer students have their say

Plight of schoolgirls in Nigeria prompts students to write in asking for more coverage

Spencer middle school teacher Jenn Nixon teaches Global Studies, English and Social Studies. Some of her students recently wrote about the kidnapping crisis in Nigeria.

As a student, I am very concerned about the teenage girls that were kidnapped in Nigeria a month ago.

The event took place April 16 and I’ve only heard about it recently. Since then, there has been another attack from the same extremist group. It’s crucial for individuals such as me to have knowledge of this subject in order to help. We cannot help if not informed.

Please take the time to give us, the public, more information on this devastating subject by writing an article on the event.

Liz Wignall

Grade 8 student

On May 1, I heard about the missing Nigerian girls who were kidnapped on April 16 by Boko Haram.

Being a 14-year-old girl myself, I felt obligated to write this letter. These girls are the same age as me and I hope they get home safely.

They have been missing for a month now. I feel for their families and friends. I’m so grateful Canada sent troops to assist the Nigerian government. I’m still shocked about how long it took for the Canadian media to report on this, so I urge you to please keep informing the public of this tragedy.

I’m so grateful I live in a place that is willing to inform and help people.

Kennedy Banning

Grade 8 student

I would like readers to be more informed about the kidnapping in Nigeria.

On April 16 the Boko Haram group kidnapped 250 to 300 teenage school girls who were writing exams. As the Nigerian government waits, more girls are being kidnapped.

On May 4, eight more girls were kidnapped. In 2013, 44 male students and teachers from Gujba College were killed, but nothing was reported in the newspaper. It took for 250 to 300 (to be taken) to make it to the news. We should be informed and feel safe to live in a place where we know what is happening around the world.

It is my opinion that we should be more informed on what’s happening in this crisis and others, too.

Tyler Magnuson

Grade 8 student

Just Posted

UPDATED: Oak Bay father takes stand, denies killing young daughters

Andrew Berry has plead not guilty to the December 2017 deaths of his two daughters

Relative of man found dead in Saanich says he was missing for years

RCMP and a private detective had been searching for him since 2012

Man who killed Langford teen attended her memorial service, demonstrates little remorse

Parole Board of Canada documents reveal factors in parole decision

Saanich Police warn of counterfeit money being used

Several fake $100 bills have been reported in Greater Victoria

Victoria police seek help finding ‘high risk’ missing woman

Brown, 30, is described as an Indigenous woman standing five feet, six inches tall, weighing 170 pounds

VIDEO: Title of 25th Bond movie is ‘No Time to Die’

The film is set to be released in April 2020

POLL: Should there be a ban on gas-powered leaf blowers?

We’ve all heard them, and most likely cursed them under our breath.… Continue reading

Greater Victoria wanted list for the week of Aug. 23

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

New study suggests autism overdiagnosed: Canadian expert

Laurent Mottron: ‘Autistic people we test now are less and less different than typical people’

Trans Mountain gives contractors 30 days to get workers, supplies ready for pipeline

Crown corporation believes the expansion project could be in service by mid-2022

Rosemount cooked diced chicken linked to listeria case in B.C.

The symptoms of listeria include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches

B.C. seniors allowed more choice to stay in assisted living

Province doesn’t need to wait for a complaint to investigate care, Adrian Dix says

Retired B.C. fisherman wins record $60M Lotto Max jackpot

Joseph Katalinic won the biggest Lotto Max prize ever awarded

Island manslaughter suspect found not guilty in Supreme Court

Court accepts accused’s argument of self-defence for 2017 incident in Courtenay

Most Read