Waste conundrum in Victoria defies explanation

Resident confused by council decision-making at city hall

Let’s see if we can make sense of the city garbage collection fiasco. In February 2012, Victoria council selected option B ($183, biweekly backyard pick-up) over the preferred choice of most citizens, the cheaper option A ($161, biweekly curbside pick up). This despite the survey vote and the higher expense, because, as we were told (“Victoria backyard trash pickup rules the day,” vicnews.com), CUPE Local 50 wanted to preserve jobs.

City staff recently recommended a switch to curbside pick up (Victoria backyard garbage pickup stays: for a cost,” vicnews.com) with a $6 increase for homeowners. Pardon? Shouldn’t that have been a $22 decrease? Instead, council decided to maintain backyard pick up and charge a further $20 more per year. So the fee will now be $203 per year, for a plan that initially was to cost $183.

And what of the kitchen scraps? That is in limbo until a composting facility can be sorted out, if ever. Meanwhile it is all likely going to the landfill. Same as before.

Then there is the problem with faulty new garbage trucks, and 364 complexes are switching to private garbage pick up. Higher fees are needed to cover the $225,000 shortfall. Who is responsible for that? Has anyone been reprimanded or fired?

So we will now be charged about the same amount per year as we were when the garbage was collected every week. Half the service for the same cost. Council must be chuckling with mirth.

Roel Hurkens

Victoria

Just Posted

Sentencing delayed for man who attacked VicPD dog

Uno later recovered from his injury and returned to work

Eco warriors to shut down Douglas Street on Earth Day

Environmentalists to call on banks to divert investments into green infrastructure

Fire damage to Esquimalt building leaves some tenants out for at least six months

Structural damage has barred half of the tenants from returning, while others might move back sooner

Plans to clear-cut old-growth near Port Renfrew causes an environmental outcry

Groups call logging a provincial government ‘blind spot’

Saanich councillor continues to call for permanent funding for Greater Victoria sexual assault centre

Coun. Ned Taylor says funding announced last week will help, but need for permanent support remains

4 victims killed in Penticton shooting spree remembered at vigil

John Brittain, 68, is charged with three counts of first-degree murder and one count of second-degree murder

POLL: How often does your family use BC Ferries?

Navigating the lineups for BC Ferries is a way of life for… Continue reading

Crime Stoppers most wanted for Greater Victoria for the week of April 16

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Police probe eight fires set at B.C. elementary school

Nanaimo RCMP say fires appear to have been set intentionally

Inquest into Port Hardy police shooting moved to Campbell River

Family disappointed James Hayward coroner’s inquest rescheduled hours away

Undercover cops don’t need warrant to email, text suspected child lurers: court

High court decision came Thursday in the case of Sean Patrick Mills of Newfoundland

Whitecaps fans stage walkout over club’s response to allegations against B.C. coach

Soccer coach has been suspended by Coastal FC since February

Three climbers presumed dead after avalanche in Banff National Park

One of the men is American and the other two are from Europe, according to officials

Most Read