The Victoria HarbourCats continue to fine tune their roster for the 2016 West Coast League season, which is now less than two weeks away.
The club has signed several players to 10-day contracts, headlined by Ethan Skuija from the University of British Columbia.
Skuija is a highly regarded Victoria product in the final stages of his freshman year at UBC. He played in the B.C. Premier Baseball League for the Victoria Eagles and was one of the league’s top arms as a senior in 2015, going 8-2 with a 1.53 ERA and 62 strikeouts in 63.2 innings pitched.
In 10 appearances this spring for UBC, Skuija has allowed 13 hits with 14 strikeouts in 14.1 innings with a 5.02 ERA.
Other players signed to 10-day contracts include:
– OF Jordan Ackerman — Bluefield College, (Junior), John Day, Oregon, 5-7/175.
– 3B Justin Bundy, Northeast Texas CC, (Freshman), Edgewood, Texas, 6-1/200.
– 1B Will Dawson, Northeast Texas CC, (Freshman), Cypress, Texas, 6-4/230.
– INF Cole Sullivan, Northeast Texas CC, (Freshman), Canton, Texas, 5-11/190.
– OF Jamie Cooper, Occidental University, (Sophomore), McLean, Virginia, 6-1/195.
According to the HarbourCats, the intent for adding players on 10-day contracts is to help fill the gaps in the first two to three series with quality players who will maintain the competitive level of the roster, while a number of full season players are absent competing in their collegiate seasons.
Ten-day players will have an opportunity to earn their way into a full season contract through their performance. The contracts will last until June 10, at which time the team will make decisions on each player.
The HarbourCats have seen more players fall-off their 2016 roster, a development that is not unexpected as the college season comes to an end Previously announced signings who are unable to come to Victoria this summer include:
– INF Rykker Tom, University of San Diego.
– RHP Chris Vargas, UC Irvine.
– RHP Mason Hilty, Dixie State.
The HarbourCats will kick off their season with a three-game series versus the Wenatchee Applesox on Tuesday, June 7 at Royal Athletic Park (1014 Caledonia Ave.) at 6:35 p.m.
For more information visit harbourcats.com.