Abbotsford kid Jake Virtanen has been selected by the Vancouver Canucks, going sixth overall at the 2014 NHL Entry Drafted.
Virtanen was in virtually all scouts’ and analysts’ top 10 draft prospects, falling around the six spot next to Nick Ritchie, Nikolaj Ehlers, and William Nylander.
North Vancouver’s Sam Reinhart was also selected second overall, going to the Buffalo Sabres on Friday.
Reinhart was favoured to go in the top three, perhaps No. 1 overall. That honour instead went to Aaron Ekblad of the OHL’s Barrie Colts, who was drafted by the Florida Panthers.
The Vancouver Canucks are believed to have offered Florida a number of packages for their first overall pick, where they would have (or could have) selected Reinhart. TSN reported, during the live show of the draft, that Vancouver had offered Florida their 6th overall pick, their 24th overall pick, as well as 2013 first-rounder Hunter Shinkaruk.
More to come…
2014 NHL 1st Round – Top 10 Selections
1. Florida Panthers: Aaron Ekblad (OHL – Barrie Colts)
2. Buffalo Sabres: Sam Reinhart (WHL – Kootenay Ice)
3. Edmonton Oilers: Leon Draisaitl (WHL – Prince Albert Raiders)
4. Calgary Flames: Sam Bennett (OHL – Kingston Frontenacs)
5. New York Islanders: Michael Dal Colle (OHL – Oshawa Generals)
6. Vancouver Canucks: Jake Virtanen (WHL – Calgary Hitmen)
7. Carolina Hurricanes: Haydn Fleury (WHL – Red Deer Rebels)
8. Toronto Maple Leafs: William Nylander (Swedish Hockey League – MODO)
9. Winnipeg Jets: Nikolaj Ehlers (QMJHL – Halifax Mooseheads)
10. Anaheim Ducks: Nick Ritchie (OHL – Peterborough Petes)