Mayor Dean Fortin

Ten more years for Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre

RG Properties signs naming rights extension for estimated $900,000.

The timing was right as Save-On-Foods announced a 10 year extension for the naming rights to the city owned Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, home of the Western Hockey League Victoria Royals.

Save-On-Foods recently expanded from two to six stores across Greater Victoria.

RG Properties built the 7,000-seat rink in 2004, when they signed the original naming rights deal that has now been continued, at a believed cost of $900,000.

The City of Victoria receives a 10 per cent portion of that, a total of $90,000 (interest free) over the 10 year span.

For RG Properties, it’s a drop from the previous deal which was reported at $1.25 million, or $125,000 annually, to $90,000 annually.

The City of Victoria also receives a cut of each ticket, and is reporting $6,000,000 revenue since the building opened in 2005. It’s twice hosted the world curling championships, as well as the national figure skating championships, the WHL Super Series vs. Russia, a U.S.A. vs. Canada women’s international, and concerts by Rod Stewart, Cher, Elton John and Prince.

“It’s about doing the right thing for the community, and the Island, where people can come together for common purposes, whether its a concert or hockey,” said Darrell Jones, president of the Overwaitea Food Group that own Save-On-Foods. “We’re excited about the expansion to six stores in the region but we signed this when we had two stores here.”

The Memorial Cup was on stage for the press conference though the Victoria Royals’ pulled its bid to host the 2016 Memorial Cup tournament earlier this last month. The iconic trophy visited the arena Friday for the Royals’ home opener against the Kamloops Blazers.

This month is also the 10 year anniversary of the Victoria Salmon Kings debut, which was surrounded in controversy. With the construction of Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre behind schedule, RG Properties announced the Salmon Kings would start the season in the 2,300-seat Q Centre (Bear Mountain Arena). Only glitch was it had 3,000 season ticket holders.

The arena and its key tenant (Salmon Kings/Royals) come a long way since then.

reporter@saanichnews.com

 

 

Just Posted

Experts suggest Esquimalt explores hub-and-spoke medical clinic model

Dr. Eileen Pepler says Esquimalt is in a ‘dire’ situation for medical care accessibility

‘Preliminary’ discussions with Saanich identify public works yard as potential velodrome site

Greater Victoria Velodrome Association’s David Atwell says site ‘is of great interest to us’

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps appointed to BC Transit board of directors

Helps joins six other board members, four of which are locally elected officials

Unveiling of Greater Victoria bus-tracking app delayed

NextRide won’t be coming to Greater Victoria until July

Art Gallery of Greater Victoria receives $2.8M Anthony Thorn donation

Victoria News article inspires hefty donation for gallery expansion

POLL: How often does your family use BC Ferries?

Navigating the lineups for BC Ferries is a way of life for… Continue reading

Crime Stoppers most wanted for Greater Victoria for the week of April 16

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Prince George sweeps to first-ever BC Hockey League crown

Spruce Kings beat Vernon Vipers 3-1 in the Okanagan Wednesday for 13th straight playoff win

Hwang’s first MLS goal lifts Whitecaps to 1-0 win over LAFC

Vancouver picks up first victory of season

Child-proof your windows ahead of warm weather: B.C. expert

Fifteen children were taken to BC Children’s Hospital for falls in 2018

B.C. trucker pleads guilty to lesser charges in fatal Manitoba crash

Gurjant Singh was fined $3,000 and given a one-year driving prohibition.

Study links preschool screen time to behavioural and attention problems

The research looked at more than 2,400 families

Island man guilty of child porn charges, Crown alleges 250,000 images

Psychiatric assessment requested by Crown, sentencing to be set June 4 in Nanaimo court

Most Read