Sponsored by The University of Victoria / Impress Branded Content
There is an energy in the air at the University of Victoria campus and nowhere is it felt more than at the Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities (CARSA). And for the many community members who make this their home gym, that energy is a great thing.
While students of all ages, staff, faculty and Vikes alumni are active at the 190,000 sq. ft. CARSA, the state-of-the-art facility also welcomes community members.
In fact, inclusivity is key, as everyone from students to seniors work out alongside Vikes athletes and current, past and future Olympians in an open and welcoming space.
This diversity of membership is also reflected in the diversity of fitness opportunities:
1. CARSA Fitness Weight Centre – The two-level, 20,000-square-foot fitness weight centre offers an array of equipment for all fitness levels and abilities. Get your heart pumping with advanced technology cardio equipment and get toned with free weights, Olympic benches, squat racks and lifting platforms. Wheelchair-accessible equipment includes a krankcycle and strength equipment with pull-away sweats.
2. Peninsula Co-op Climbing Centre – The climbing tower is one of the tallest among Canadian universities and has more than 500 holds between the 55-foot tower and 14-foot bouldering wall. Both new and experienced climbers learn and practice in a safe, fun environment that also includes instructional courses, team building opportunities and even birthday parties!
3. Group fitness classes – In the something-for-everyone category, choose from more than 40 classes per week during peak months. Hosted in dedicated dance, TRX, spin or yoga studios, classes range from Ballet Barre Bootcamp to Mindful Strides, an introduction to the basics of healthy, injury-free running.
4. CARSA Squash and Racquetball Courts – Enjoy some friendly competition on one of five squash and racquetball courts, conveniently located in the CARSA facility.
5. McKinnon Pool – Make a splash in the 25-metre indoor pool that offers both length swimming and everyone welcome times.
6. Multi-purpose Fieldhouse – Utilize the bright and open fieldhouse space that has a 90m running track, one hardwood court floor and two multi-sport surface courts that can be used for a variety of activities such as badminton, tennis, ping pong and ball hockey.
7. Equipment rentals through the Outdoor Recreation Resource Centre – Want to camp but don’t have the gear? Visit the Outdoor Recreation Resource Centre, next to the climbing centre, to rent tents, sleeping bags and sleeping mats.
8. Included admission to all regular season Vikes varsity games – Come cheer on the Vikes in their quest for Canadian university sport supremacy. Varsity sports played on-site include soccer, rugby, field hockey and that winter favourite among both the campus and community, Vikes basketball.
Community members interested in making CARSA their new active, healthy home can sign up for a 4 month Adult Vikes Fit or Climb membership for just $200 (regular $255). For just over $50 per month you can access the CARSA fitness weight centre or Peninsula Co-op Climbing Centre as well as a great selection of group fitness classes, access to the CARSA squash and racquetball courts, drop-in recreation in the fieldhouse and more. Visit the CARSA membership services counter to purchase your membership. Learn more about CARSA and its opportunities at vikesrec.ca (Offer applies to first-time purchases only. Limited time offer expiring June 30, 2017. Cannot be purchased on a monthly basis and full fee is due upon purchase).