There’s lots of advice online about how many years your mattress should last, and material signs that it should be replaced. But the person with the most knowledge about when to change your mattress is yourself.
“If you have trouble falling asleep, staying asleep or wake up sore, your mattress may be part of the problem,” says Love Dodd from Dodd’s Furniture and Mattress. “Of course there are many reasons we have trouble sleeping, including stress, changes in our health, and the noise and temperature in your bedroom, but a quality mattress can make sleep significantly better.”
5 signs it’s time for a new mattress
- You wake up sore: Stiffness in your muscles, especially in your hips or lower back is a sign that your mattress has lost its support, and your muscles must now work harder to keep your spine and joints properly aligned.
- You don’t feel rested: Muscle soreness and joint pain are more than just a morning inconvenience — they can also cause you to toss, turn and wake up during the night. Quality of sleep is just as important as duration, and a new mattress may allow you to sleep deeper.
- Your allergies are worse at night: Dust, mould and mildew in your mattress may make your allergies act up, even if you can’t detect any strange smells or discolouration. A mattress protector can help keep allergens under control, and is easy to clean.
- Your body has changed: It’s one of the beautiful things about being alive: our bodies and our preferences change over time. We may gain or lose weight, develop an injury or health condition, or simply get older. A different mattress may better suit your current needs and help you get a better rest.
- Your mattress looks like an old country road: Over time, old country roads develop two dips where vehicle tires go. Old mattresses do the same thing, where you and your partner sleep. If your mattress has noticeable dips, either from broken springs or worn out foam, it’s time for a replacement.
Browse furniture, mattresses and decor atdoddsfurniture.com and sign up for their newsletter at the bottom of the homepage for care tips and unbelievable deals. With exceptional customer service and the best prices on the Island (thanks to their Price Match Guarantee), Dodd’s delivers! Plus thanks toDodd’s Price Match Guarantee, you won’t find a better price on Vancouver Island.