3 suspects handed terror charges in thwarted French attack

3 suspects handed terror charges in thwarted French attack

Paris’ prosecutor’s office says that three suspects in a thwarted attack last week in the southern French city of Montpellier have been handed preliminary terrorism charges.

Authorities gave only the suspects’ first names. A teenage girl, Sara, and a man called Thomas were charged with terrorist association and possessing explosives Tuesday night. Another man, Malik, was also charged with justifying terrorism.

Last week, anti-terrorism forces uncovered a makeshift laboratory for fabricating a bomb. France’s top security official Friday said the raid thwarted an “imminent attack.”

A police official said the teenage girl — among several arrested — had pledged loyalty to the Islamic State group in a recent video.

France is still under a state of emergency after several deadly attacks in 2015 and 2016.

The Associated Press

Canadian Press

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image