Minister of Transport Marc Garneau announced Friday that Salish Sea Industrial Services, an Indigenous-owned and operated marine construction, maintenance and support services company, is receiving $404,350 under the Abandoned Boats Program to remove 17 boats from three locations around Salt Spring Island. (Keri Coles/News staff)

17 abandoned boats around Salt Spring Island to be removed with federal funding

Local Indigenous company awarded funds through Abandoned Boats Program

A local Indigenous company in Victoria has been granted federal funding to remove 17 boats from local waters.

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau announced in Victoria Friday the most recent applicants to receive funding through the Abandoned Boats Program to support the assessment, removal and disposal of abandoned boats in Canadian waters.

Salish Sea Industrial Services, an Indigenous-owned and operated marine construction, maintenance and support services company, is receiving $404,350 under the Abandoned Boats Program to remove the boats from three locations around Salt Spring Island.

RELATED: Feds urged to streamline abandoned boat regulations

“Abandoned boats are a threat to marine ecosystems, aquatic species and the livelihood of fish harvesters. The Government of Canada is proud to support this collaboration of municipalities, industry, and Indigenous groups, working together to improve our coasts and waterways for future generations,” said Marc Garneau, Minister of Transport.

The company previously received funding for and successfully completed the removal of four boats in Victoria Harbour.

The Township of Esquimalt was also announced as a recipient, receiving $2,500 for assessment of one boat and $5,625 for removal of one boat.

RELATED: Transport Canada announces $17M for pollutant clean up in Victoria Park, removal of abandoned boats

The Abandoned Boats Program is investing $6.85 million for abandoned boat assessment, removal and disposal, and for research and education initiatives, under the Oceans Protection Plan.

Launched in November 2016, the five-year, $1.5-billion Oceans Protection Plan is working to protect Canada’s coasts and waterways.

“As we mark the two-year anniversary of the Oceans Protection Plan this month, we renew our commitment to meaningful action to safeguard Canadian waters as a critical resource and a source of pride,” said Garneau.


 

keri.coles@blackpress.ca

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

 

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau announced Friday the most recent applicants to receive funding through the Abandoned Boats Program to support the assessment, removal and disposal of abandoned boats in Canadian waters. (Keri Coles/News staff)

Minister of Transport Marc Garneau speaks with representatives from Salish Sea Industrial Services, an Indigenous-owned and operated marine construction, maintenance and support services company receiving $404,350 under the Abandoned Boats Program to remove the boats from three locations around Salt Spring Island. (Keri Coles/News staff)

Just Posted

City of Victoria to hold formal safety review after man was left hanging from raised bridge

More and more people seen ignoring safety measurements in place, city staff say

Active police incident in Langford prompts police to request nearby residents stay inside

West Shore RCMP ask public to avoid Station Avenue and Peatt Road area

Nanaimo man wanted Canada-wide after walking away from Victoria halfway house

Warrant issued for Jesse Goodale, convicted of aggravated assault

Sixties Scoop settlement tour stops in Victoria

The information session takes place on July 24 at the Sandman Hotel

Victoria Police issue warning after man left dangling from raised Johnson Street Bridge

A man bypassed safety measures and became stranded as the bridge lifted

VIDEO: Missing teens named as suspects in three northern B.C. killings

Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky are wanted in the deaths of Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, unknown man

POLL: Do you use a food delivery app?

With modern life becoming more hectic with each passing day and so… Continue reading

Vancouver Island teacher suspended for professional misconduct

Grade 8 shop teacher admits to use of vulgar language and profanities toward students, parents

Northern B.C. double homicide, suspicious death: A timeline of what we know

Two teens from Port Alberni are now wanted Canada-wide in connection to the three deaths

B.C. wine industry legend Harry McWatters dies

Among his accomplishments, McWatters founded the province’s first estate winery, Sumac Ridge Estate

Provincial health body refuses to release full findings of cancer triage system audit

Information and Privacy Commissioner asked to review redactions

Southern resident killer whale died of blunt trauma, likely from ship

J34 was found more than two years ago near Sechelt, but the necropsy findings have now been released

B.C. rail crossing death highlights risks for people in wheelchairs: watchdog

Transportation Safety Board points to ‘persistent risks faced by persons using assistive devices’

B.C. teens wanted in double homicide, suspicious death spotted in Manitoba

Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky were thought to have been seen in the Gillam area

Most Read