Many residents in south Oak Bay are mourning the imminent loss of Casey’s Market, a corner store that has been a staple of the community for 80 years. The market’s doors are shutting for good at the end of October.
The shop, located at the corner of Central and St. Patrick, was built as a confectionary in 1935. The original shopkeepers, Eric and Pearl Casey, called the shop Lea Glen Dairy until 1947 when the name was changed to Casey’s. While it has switched hands a few times since then, it has retained its name and has continued to service the community.
Over the decades, generations of children have grown up running to the store to grab candy, teenagers have used it as a hang out, and parents have popped in for last-minute groceries. It seems everyone in Oak Bay has a fond and nostalgic memory of the place.
The news of the closing comes after the building was sold to a new owner in June. It is now held by ADSN Holdings Ltd., with Anup Grewal listed as a director.
Thorn & Thistle, an Oak Bay florist, is excited to be taking over the space.
How long-term the tenancy will be is yet to be determined. A sheet that was posted inside the market showed an image of a three-storey building with commercial on the ground floor and residential units above.
No permits have been issued to develop the property. However, some residents are concerned about losing the character of their community should a development go ahead.