Council approves $8.2 million budget increase for bridge

The bridge is expected to be open to traffic by the end of December 2017, with the project competed by March 31, 2018.

Engineers responsible for overseeing the steel fabrication of the new Johnson Street Bridge have reassured Victoria council the bridge is being built to the highest North American safety standards.

The Johnson Street Bridge has been a project of concern lately with going over budget, problems with steel fabrication in China and the completion date being pushed back repeatedly.

In a presentation to council Thursday, project engineers with Hardesty and Hanover reaffirmed the bridge is being built to North American standards and will be fully-functional for its anticipated lifespan.

“It’s a very complicted and interesting project and we’re looking forward to moving it forward so that it can be a structure that is befitting of Victoria,” said Keith Griesing, the project manager supervising steel fabrication and design in China. “We are very optimistic that we’re going to get that bridge here and it’s going to be the icon that you need it to be.”

The steel, being produced by Jiangsu Zhongtai Steel Structure Co. Ltd. in China, has been riddled with problems. In 2014, steel fabrication of the main bridge trusses and a large ring rotating mechanism was rejected. Last year, 75 cracked welds were detected on the steel deck surface. The defects were properly documented and repairs completed.

According to engineers, many of the issues arose because steel fabricators have little experience with North American fabrication and safety standards. As a result, workers have been receiving on the job training about the standards.

Griesing said the process won’t impact the overall quality of the steel once it’s complete.

“The best analogy I can make is if you go to a barista and they make your coffee right and they do it a certain way. But one day that person’s not there and they make your coffee slight differently and it tastes differently. They didn’t make the coffee wrong, they just did it a different way,” Griesing said.

“They’re not used to working at these standards because it’s not their primary clients. So they’re learning and they have to change some of their practices that maybe other clients don’t require them to meet…we’ve gotten through a lot of the learning curve on that.”

Fabrication errors were attributed to human error or machine breakdowns, said Griesing, adding  the issues with steel fabrication weren’t any more “dramatic” compared to other projects of similar complexity.

On Thursday, council also reluctantly approved an $8.2 million increase in the budget from the city’s buildings and infrastructure reserve, however, $2 million is a recommended contingency. Fendering is not included in the price. The total project budget is roughly $105 million after the increase.

Many councillors expressed frustration with the previous council’s decision to build such a complex bridge.

“It’s true innovation is a sexy work, but if it’s not something that adds value to the project, then it’s not something that should be leapt at,” said Mayor Lisa Helps. “We’ll get the bridge here, we’ll get it open and see how it’s received by the public.”

Through a successful medation session between March and early April, a new construction schedule has been agreed to.

The bridge is expected to be open to traffic by the end of December 2017, with the project competed by March 31, 2018.

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Victoria police continue to search for wanted man Travis Moore after he evaded an arrest attempt by slipping through the bushes in Beacon Hill Park April 11. (Courtesy of VicPD)
Victoria police continue search for wanted man following failed arrest attempt

Travis Moore, 28, is a federal offender wanted Canada wide for breaching his statutory release

Esquimalt High School is one of six Greater Victoria schools that reported a COVID-19 exposure over the weekend. (Black Press Media file photo)
Six new Greater Victoria school exposures reported over weekend

Steady rise in school exposures since return from spring break

The District of North Saanich has issued a notice to remove this floating structure from the waters off Lillan Hoffar Park. (Wolf Depner/News Staff)
Boat owner ordered to vacate waters off North Saanich park

Couple have been living in floating structure off Lillian Hoffar Park for a number of years

Paramedic Matthew Schlatter of Victoria is living a fuller life today due to the double lung transplant he received in 2019. He encourages B.C. residents to register as an organ donor and let their families know their wishes. (Instagram/Matthew Schlatter)
Victoria man living a full, active life after double lung transplant

Matt Schlatter encourages people to register as an organ donor to help others live

Passengers in rows four to 10 onboard WestJet flight 449 from Calgary to Victoria April 6 were exposed to a case of COVID-19. (Black Press Media file photo)
Flight from Calgary to Victoria added to COVID-19 exposure list

Passengers onboard WestJet flight 449 April 6 affected

People take part in an anti-curfew protest in Montreal on Sunday April 11, 2021. Hundreds of people gathered in Old Montreal tonight in defiance of a new 8 p.m. curfew. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Giuseppe Valiante
VIDEO: Hundreds defy Montreal’s 8 p.m. curfew in violent, destructive protest

Quebec reported 1,535 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, as well as five additional deaths linked to the virus

Organ donation form from BC Transplant. (BC Transplant)
POLL: Have you registered as an organ donor?

They number 1.5 million strong and growing. But their numbers still fall… Continue reading

Anyone with information on any of these individuals is asked to call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or visit the website victoriacrimestoppers.ca for more information.
Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of April 6

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Photos of Vancouver Canucks players are pictured outside the closed box office of Rogers Arena in downtown Vancouver Thursday, April 8, 2021. The Vancouver Canucks say 25 players and coaches have tested positive during a COVID-19 outbreak that involves a variant of the virus. It is now the biggest reported outbreak in the NHL this season. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Canucks’ return to practice pushed back as player added to COVID protocol list

COVID outbreak has led to eight games being cancelled

People walk past the Olympic rings in Whistler, B.C., Friday, May 15, 2020. Whistler which is a travel destination for tourists around the world is seeing the effects of travel bans due to COVID-19. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jonathan Hayward
Adults living, working in Whistler, B.C., eligible for COVID-19 vaccine on Monday

The move comes as the province deals with a rush of COVID-19 and variant cases in the community

RCMP crest. (Black Press Media files)
UPDATE: RCMP investigating after child, 6, dies at motel in Duncan, B.C.

The BC Coroners Service is conducting its own investigation into the circumstances around the child’s death

RCMP display some of the fish seized from three suspects who pleaded guilty to violating the Fisheries Act in 2019, in this undated handout photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/HO - RCMP
3 banned from fishing, holding licences after overfishing violations near Vancouver Island

Mounties seized the group’s 30-foot fishing vessel and all equipment on board at the time

Most Read