A fire broke out in the back of a bakery in Victoria’s Upper Quadra Village early this morning, causing an estimated $160,000 in damage but no injuries.
It took 3 fire trucks and 19 firefighters to put out the flames at Italian Bakery, 3197 Quadra St. around 4 a.m. this morning. Victoria police also attended the scene.
The fire has been deemed accidental and originated in the kitchen at the rear of the business, said Battalion Chief Mike Stark.
“The fire was caused due to improper clearance (of) combustible materials,” he said. “The oven, which was used for baking operations, was left on (and) unattended. There were product containers made of paper stored on top of the oven against the exhaust ducting, and bags of flour were stored against the side of the oven, blocking two oven vents.”
Crews were able to contain the fire to the kitchen with no injuries and no damage to surrounding properties.