Esquimalt reduces energy consumption, emissions for third straight year

The township reduced hydro and natural gas consumption use in municipal buildings by five per cent

  • Mar. 6, 2015 1:00 p.m.

For the third year in a row, the Township of Esquimalt has reduced both energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions in its municipal operations.

In 2014, the township produced 968 tonnes of GHG emissions with 71 per cent of emissions coming from the operation of municipal buildings and the other 29 per cent from the municipal vehicle fleet.

The township reduced hydro and natural gas consumption use in municipal buildings by five per cent, fleet fuel use by eight per cent  and overall GHG emissions by 70 tonnes compared to 2013.

The Township’s 2014 Climate Action Revenue Incentive Program Public Report highlights the action and progress being made by the township towards meeting its Climate Action Charter goals.

Highlights include the implementation of paperless council agendas, the collection of organic kitchen scraps for composting, and participation in the Westside Solutions committee, which is evaluating options and developing a conceptual plan for a wastewater treatment and resource recovery plan for westside communities.

 

Just Posted

Protective human chain forms around Victoria mosque for Friday prayer

Islanders stand arm-in-arm to show support in aftermath of New Zealand shootings

City of Victoria announces two more affordable housing projects

The city commits nearly $2M to projects in James Bay and Hillside-Quadra neighbourhoods

Saanich could become the new home of the world’s largest gnome

Galey Farms could find out Tuesday whether it will host the eight-metre-tall structure

Update: BC Transit driver taken to hospital with serious injuries after assault

Driver attempted to stop an altercation between two people on the bus

‘Families torn apart:’ Truck driver in fatal Broncos crash gets 8-year sentence

Judge Inez Cardinal told court in Melfort, Sask., that Sidhu’s remorse and guilty plea were mitigating factors

Greater Victoria Wanted List for the week of March 19

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: When do you think the next major earthquake will hit Vancouver Island?

According to seismologists, Vancouver Island is overdue for a magnitude 7 earthquake.… Continue reading

WestJet sticking with Boeing 737 Max once planes certified to fly

WestJet had expected to add two more of the planes this year to increase its fleet to 13

B.C. driver caught going 207 km/h on motorcycle along Okanagan Highway

A motorcyclist was caught by Kelowna RCMP going 207 km/h on Highway 97C

Motorcyclist dies after three-vehicle crash on old Island Highway

Accident happened at 12:15 p.m. Friday near Country Club Centre in Nanaimo

B.C. fire department offers tips to keep your home safe during wildfire season

With wildfire season getting closer, the Penticton Fire Dept. offer tips to keep your home safe

Fierce house cat spotted as ‘aggressor’ in face off with coyote in B.C. backyard

North Vancouver resident Norm Lee captures orange cat versus coyote in backyard showdown

Wilson-Raybould to reveal more details, documents on SNC-Lavalin affair

Former attorney general has written to the House of Commons justice committee

Most Read