Just before 10 p.m. on Feb. 25, the Oak Bay Fire Department answered a call at the Oak Bay Recreation Centre for a reported structure fire.
When fire crews arrived they were met by Oak Bay Recreation staff who reported a fire in the refrigeration room had been extinguished by a staff member using a portable fire extinguisher.
An investigation into the incident revealed that a battery operated ice edger, which was stored and charged in the refrigeration room had ignited. The room was filled with smoke and light smoke was noticed in parts of the recreation complex.
"Quick action by Oak Bay Recreation staff with a portable fire extinguisher helped to minimize the fire damage in the refrigeration room," said fire prevention officer Rob Kivell.
The ice edger was removed from the refrigeration room by the Oak Bay firefighters who then removed the smoke from the complex.
Oak Bay Fire Investigators are investigating the incident with the assistance of the Provincial Electrical Safety Inspector.