Fourth Street in Sidney is opening again between Beacon and Bevan avenues after fire officials have dealt with a natural gas leak earlier Tuesday.
Sidney fire was called after a construction crew hit a natural gas line on Feb. 23 around 9 a.m. Deputy Fire Chief Mike Harman told told Black Press Media.
As a precaution, about 30 residents from two buildings on Fourth Street were evacuated to an emergency reception centre set up at the Mary Winspear Centre.
Once people return to their units they will have a smell of gas but it will dissipate if they open their windows, Harman said.
Sidney North Saanich RCMP aided with traffic control with North Saanich fire on standby, responding to one medical aid case on behalf of Sidney, during the incident.
Fortis was on scene earlier and the road re-opened mid-afternoon.
No injuries were reported.
@SidneyVFire on 4th Street for a natural gas leak. 4th Street is closed in both directions between Beacon Ave and Bevan Ave until further notice. #sidney #yyjtraffic #yyjnews pic.twitter.com/wts6UNETHa
— SidneyVFire (@SidneyVFire) February 23, 2022
Do you have a story tip? Email: email@example.com.