Historic globe project hits stumbling block for former Victorian

Historian Sam Bawlf frustrated with retraction of agreement by Royal B.C. Museum

Sam Bawlf

A former provincial heritage minister is irate after the Royal B.C. Museum backed out of an agreement to exhibit evidence that, if true, would upend B.C.’s history books.

For the past three years, Sam Bawlf has been lobbying the government to digitize and display a Molyneux globe, a 415-year-old map created after Sir Francis Drake’s voyage around the world from 1577 to 1580. Bawlf purports the globe proves Drake discovered what is now British Columbia in 1579, nearly 200 years before Captain James Cook dropped anchor off Vancouver Island.

“Call it a 400-year-old Google Earth,” he said.

Bawlf, a former Victoria-area resident now living on Salt Spring Island, spent three years securing provincial and federal commitments to digitize the globe – currently held by a private organization in London, England – for Canadian scholarly study.

But the museum backed out of the agreement in January, citing a lack of academic scrutiny on the controversial evidence.

“I absolutely agree with Mr. Bawlf that this needs to be presented to the Canadian public,” said Jack Lohman, the museum’s CEO. “But we’re not in the business of authenticating academic research.”

Bawlf contends he didn’t ask the museum to authenticate his work, which is presented in his 2003 book, The Secret Voyage of Sir Francis Drake.

If Drake was the first European to reach this part of North America, as Bawlf claims, it could be a sticking point in aboriginal land treaties throughout the coastal areas. The date of first contact with First Nations is a key reference point to all claims of aboriginal rights and title.

“When you move that date by 200 years, it’s very significant,” Bawlf said.

He added it would be impossible for such accurate detail to be depicted on Molyneux’s globe without direct observation of the coastline by someone who was familiar with latitude and compass bearings.

“For the RBCM to present the globe without this information would amount to deliberate suppression of the case for Drake’s explorations, presentation of which had been the whole purpose of the project from the outset,” he said.

Bawlf’s theory has yet to gain a foothold in common history, but has been praised by several established geographical scholars.

In response to Bawlf’s requests earlier this year, cultural development minister Ida Chong provided half of the $30,000 required by Library and Archives Canada to digitize the globe. But without RBCM support, the federal government has backed out of the agreement as well.

“So now we have the money sitting there … and we just want to get on with it,” Bawlf said, adding the remaining $15,000 has been put up by a private business.

In a statement, Chong’s office confirmed $15,000 had been issued and said the RBCM would “assist Mr. Bawlf in his project to digitize and to bring the globe to Victoria in the future.”

Bawlf wants the province to intervene and force the museum to present both the globe and his evidence, but the ministry did not indicate it would take further action.

“The public have a right to know what happened to the project … we’ve hit a wall,” Bawlf said.

dpalmer@vicnews.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

UPDATED: Pat Bay Highway blockade ends three hours later

About 80 people from four major Peninsula First Nations blocking major highway

Central Saanich Police prepared for afternoon shut-down of Highway 17

Sgt. Paul Brailey questions efficacy of protest

City of Langford rebrands, announces several projects

‘Langford, where it all happens’ is the City’s new slogan

Fiddler on the Roof brings timely message to Oak Bay stage

Musical starts Friday in Dave Dunnet Theatre

VIDEO: Province promotes ‘lifting each other up’ on 13th annual Pink Shirt Day in Victoria

Students, MLAs, community members gathered at B.C. Parliament Buildings Wednesday

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Feb. 25

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

Prepare for new coronavirus like an emergency, health minister advises

About 81,000 people around the world have now become ill with COVID-19

B.C. residents in Wet’suwet’en territory have right to police presence: Public Safety Minister

Nevertheless, Bill Blair said officials remain ‘very anxious’ for the barricades to come down

Winnipeg police investigating graffiti on RCMP and other buildings

Manitoba Justice Minister Cliff Cullen denounced the vandalism

B.C. seniors’ watchdog calls for better oversight after recent problems at Retirement Concepts care homes

‘There is no financial incentive right now to be a good operator’ - Isobel Mackenzie

Trucking company fined $175K for Kootenay creek fuel spill

Decision handed down last Friday in Nelson court

B.C. Liberals call for ban on foreign funds to pipeline protesters

Sierra Club, Wilderness Committee back Coastal GasLink blockades

Most Read