Painter quick to extinguish small apartment fire

Fire officials confirm the fire was electrical, but haven’t yet determined the cause.

  • Mar. 13, 2015 8:00 p.m.

A painter working in the hallway of a Victoria apartment building Thursday noticed smoke spewing into the hallway.

The painter jumped into action, grabbing an extinguisher and spraying into the apartment to prevent the fire from engulfing the suite, until Victoria Fire Department crews arrived.

Crews arrived at the fire scene at 1573 Begbie St. at about 10:30 a.m. to a smoke-filled apartment to find an electrical fire that was almost put out by the painter.

Fire officials confirm the fire was electrical, but haven’t yet determined the cause.

The fire caused about $3,000 in damages.