Chief justice Christopher Hinkson denied the province's application for an injunction to remove campers from the lawns of the courthouse.

Residents upset tent city is not going away

Nearby tent city residents are upset with the judge's decision to deny province's injunction and fear things will only get worse.

While residents of tent city may be celebrating their victory to stay on the lawns of the Victoria courthouse, nearby residents are upset with the decision and fear things will only get worse.

On Tuesday, Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson denied the province’s application for an injunction to evict campers from the courthouse lawn.

According to the ruling, Hinkson, who also ruled in favour of homeless people’s rights to erect shelters in parks in Abbotsford last year, acknowledged many homeless people cannot access shelters for a variety of reasons and they have benefitted from forming a community.

“The defendants in the case appear to benefit from responsible leadership and organization, and have established effective lines of communication between themselves and police, fire and public health authorities, in a way that prior homeless individuals . . . were unable to do,” he wrote. “While the encampment has not been without its difficulties and challenges, it is an improvement over its predecessors.”

He also stated there were some legitimate concerns about the health, general safety and fire safety of occupants in the space, but said more problems may arise if he issued the injunction and would cause the dozens of people living there to “a relentless series of daily moves to the streets, doorways, and parks of the City of Victoria.”

A trial date has been set for Sept. 7. However, if circumstances at tent city should “degenerate” between now and trial, the province will be able to renew its application for an injunction.

Wolf Montey, who has been living at the courthouse for the past month, broke down in tears when she heard the news.

“I was just so relieved,” she said, adding residents are doing everything they can to make sure things are pleasant for neighbours. “We can stay until September. We all look after each other because it’s all we really have.”

Tent city resident Chrissy Brett said it’s the sense of community that resonated with the judge and could act as a new model for other cities as well.

However, not everyone is happy with the decision.

Neighbours, who said there’s been an increase in crime since tent city was erected, said things are only going to get worse.

“I’m quite upset obviously. Things have compiled and progressed a lot with the happenings in the neighbourhood since November when tent city started,” said Brandon Ellis, who purchased a condo three years ago a block away from tent city.

He added he’s found needles, used condoms and wine bottles left on his patio.

Mel Wright, who lives on Burdett Avenue, isn’t surprised by the ruling and said there will be even more people living on the lawns come summertime.

“I thought the courts were there to uphold the law. I believe that’s what they’re for,” he said. “Stolen bikes, open fires, someone is living in a vehicle up there  — all of those things are breaking the law. So what’s the purpose of the court?”

Stephen Hammond agreed.

“It’s very disappointing. It doesn’t mean you have to agree with every decision that’s made, but I think the judge got it wrong,” said Hammond, who is also the organizer of Mad as Hell, a group that opposes tent city. “The residents around there are living in hell and they’ll continue to be living in hell.”

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps said it’s time for the province to step up and manage the site. She added she’s not concerned about tent city growing if it’s properly managed.

 

 

 

 

Just Posted

Coun. Fred Haynes to run for mayor against Mayor Atwell

Haynes to go head-to-head with Atwell for Saanich mayoral seat in 2018

School fence damaged by soaring sailboat

One boat owner advised, Transport Canada responsible for second boat

Bob Heyes back behind Shamrocks bench for 2018 season

Art Webster, Mike Simpson, John Hamilton will also return

UPDATE: Driver escapes from crash in Sidney

Town truck and another vehicle collide, causing van to roll over

Final key components for Johnson Street Bridge installed this weekend in Victoria

Dynamic Beast crane barge arrives back in town on Friday

Testing the Google Arts & Culture app

Going face to face with art

VIDEO: Fuel truck and train collide in B.C. causing massive fire

More emergency crews are still arriving on scene of a massive fire at the Port Coquitlam rail yard.

Back to work: U.S. government shutdown ends after Democrats relent

Short-term spending measure means both sides could see another shutdown stalemate in three weeks

Saanich signals support for in-fill developments in Gorge-Tillicum

The Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood continues to experience infill. Council’s committee-of-the-whole signaled Saanich’s support… Continue reading

Man lives despite malfunctioning defibrillator at B.C. arena

A middle-aged man went into cardiac arrest after at game at Pitt Meadows Arena last Wednesday.

Reynolds, Edward Milne capture titles at Esquimalt hoops tournament

Host Dockers take fourth in senior girls draw

Cause of Northern B.C. seaplane crash released

TSB releases report on seaplane crash during a water landing in 2016 near First Nations community

Vancouver police crack down on pop-up pot vendors

Officers raided merchants’ tables on Robson Square late Sunday

Bell Media, NFL take appeal over Super Bowl ad rules to top court

At issue is a ban on substituting American ads with Canadian ones during the game’s broadcast

Most Read