The Saanich Fire Department extinguished an early morning shed fire on Christmas Eve. (Black Press Media file photo)

The Saanich Fire Department extinguished an early morning shed fire on Christmas Eve. (Black Press Media file photo)

Saanich shed destroyed in Christmas Eve fire

Crews were able to extinguish the blaze before it spread

The Saanich Fire Department put out a fire early Tuesday morning that originated in a detached shed on a property in the 800-block of Gladiola Avenue. The shed was used to store a number of combustible materials, including gas.

Saanich Fire spokesperson Dan Wood said crews extinguished the fire at approximately 7:35 a.m. on Christmas Eve. Firefighters were able to contain the blaze before it spread to the garage the lean-to shed backed onto. However, there was substantial damage done to the garage.

READ ALSO: Uplands house raided, wrapped gifts stolen in Grinch-style break-in

Items stored in the shed included gas, a lawnmower, building materials, and epoxy. It was completely destroyed.

Wood is reminding residents that proper storage of combustible materials in and around homes is important. He added it’s a good idea to avoid stacking combustible items up against a house to avoid damage to the property in the event something does catch fire.

No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.

READ ALSO: Sixty-nine Canadians giving up holidays to help with Australian wildfires

sophie.heizer@saanichnews.com


Like us on Facebook and follow @yrlocaljourno

fireSaanich

Be Among The First To Know

Sign up for a free account today, and receive top headlines in your inbox Monday to Saturday.

Sign Up with google Sign Up with facebook

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Reset your password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

A link has been emailed to you - check your inbox.



Don't have an account? Click here to sign up
Pop-up banner image