Temporary shelters at capacity as province seeks to evict campers

Two of the three temporary shelters opened to help tent city residents are already at capacity.

With a number of people still living on the lawn of the Victoria courthouse, two of the three temporary shelters opened to help tent city residents are already at capacity.

The province-owned shelter at Mount Edwards Court on Vancouver Street, operated by the Victoria Cool Aid Society, has 38 spaces — all of which were filled within the first three days.

Spokesperson Alan Rycroft said operations have been running smoothly since the shelter opened its doors with no concerns raised from the neighbourhood.

But there could be changes coming.

Last week, the province announced plans to keep the Mount Edwards shelter open long-term.

“We have committed, the city has committed and the province has committed to a rezoning process . . . before there’s any change in the use of the site,” Rycroft said. “So for the next year, it will be 38 people and any change to that will go through a public rezoning.”

At the Victoria Youth Custody Centre in View Royal, 24 of the 50 spaces are occupied.

Currently, residents are living in tents outside in the shelter’s courtyard while Our Place Society, which operates the shelter, completed safety upgrades such as changing the locks and installing smoke detectors.

The society expects more people will be moving in this week. Our Place spokesperson Grant McKenzie said they will be adding residents gradually.

“We want to make sure that everybody fits with everybody else. It’s a really vulnerable population and we really want to make sure we can build a community there,” he said.

“A lot of people coming in are quite sick. Living outside can be quite difficult on your body.”

My Place, formerly the Boys and Girls Club on Yates Street, is also at its 40-person capacity and has been since it opened at the beginning of the year. Half a dozen My Place residents have moved on to acquire permanent housing, while new people continue to move in.

Despite three new temporary shelters opening within the last few months, there are still a number of people living at tent city on Burdett Avenue.

McKenzie couldn’t specify how many people were left living there, but said some residents are still there to protest the government’s lack of permanent housing solutions.

Last week, the province filed a court order to evict the remaining homeless campers from tent city. The government hopes to get a ruling on the injunction application this week.

Housing Minister Rich Coleman said it will cost approximately $350,000 to fix the damage done to the land.

 

 

Just Posted

Greater Victoria Harbour Authority to fall fake eagle tree at Ogden Point

Last year a fake tree was installed to try to entice eagles to stay in the area, without much success

Ambitious B.C. Aviation Museum need $10M to get iconic Lancaster back in the air

Volunteers flock to work on bomber, restoration expected to take 10 years

Saanich to potentially host first hydrogen fuel station on Vancouver Island

Station proposed for corner of Quadra Street and McKenzie Avenue

Three children to run Victoria as ‘Mayors’ on Tuesday

Local kids will be honorary mayors for a day

Langford man sentenced to 15 months for child pornography collection

Andre Mollon sentenced for posession of more than 1,000 child pornography images and 70 videos

Victoria hosts ‘Ultimate Hockey Fan Cave’

The hockey cave was recently featured on a Netflix special

Inspirational Vancouver Island youngster dies after battle with brain cancer

Kaiden Finley ‘was seriously the strongest 11-year-old’

Is it a homicide? B.C. woman dies in hospital, seven months after being shot

Stepfather think Chilliwack case should now be a homicide, but IHIT has not confirmed anything

Indecent caller handed 18-month conditional sentence

Vancouver Island man pleaded guilty to making indecent phone and video calls to women across B.C.

Sources say Trudeau rejected Wilson-Raybould’s conservative pick for high court

Wilson-Raybould said Monday “there was no conflict between the PM and myself”

First Nations public art piece stolen in Nanaimo

Spindle Whorl went missing over the weekend, according to Nanaimo RCMP

Father-son duo at B.C. Children’s Hospital helps new dads fight depression

The pair teamed up to introduce the only known research-based mindfulness workshop for new dads

Mexican restaurant in B.C. told to take down Mexican flag

General manager of Primo’s Mexican Grill in White Rock: ‘I’ve never heard of anything like this’

B.C. NDP moves to provide tax credits, tax cut for LNG Canada

Provincial sales tax break of $596 million repayable after construction

Most Read