(Black Press Media file photo)

Unattended cooking causes fire in Songhees Nation home

Two people treated for injuries, one transported to hospital Monday evening

Quick thinking neighbours managed to limit the spread of a residential structure fire on the Songhees Nation Monday evening.

Approximately 20 firefighters from View Royal and Colwood were called to the 1500-block of Middle Road for reports of a structure fire shortly before 6 p.m. on April 22.

When crews arrived, they found an unconscious man on the front lawn of a residence and neighbours with garden hoses attempting to control the fire.

BC Ambulance Service paramedics treated two people at the scene and transported one to hospital with injuries. The extent of those injuries is unknown.

According to View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst, there wasn’t a working smoke alarm in the building.

He credited the quick action of neighbours who noticed the fire, called 911 and attempted to control the blaze with fire extinguishers and garden hoses.

View Royal/Colwood Emergency Support Services attended to assist the displaced residents. West Shore RCMP and BC Hydro were also on scene to secure the building.

The cause of the fire, according to Hurst, was unattended cooking in the kitchen of the residence. Damage is estimated at $30,000 to $40,000.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Victoria police investigate dumpster fire in gated alleyway

VicPD and Victoria Fire Department respond to fire on Johnson Street

Pacific FC signs 24-year-old defensive midfielder from Panama

González joins the roster following the team’s 2-2 tie game against York9 FC.

Pacific FC game ends with tie against York9 on Saturday

PFC’s defender scored an own goal off a deflection, putting the game at 2-2

Famed Syrian artist displays paintings created while living in refugee camps

Farid Abdulbaki’s ‘Between Two Worlds’ exhibit will be displayed May 24-26 in Victoria

Mighty Garage Sale offers boost to Metchosin groups

Metchosin Community Association holds annual sale on May 25 and 26

VIDEO: Horseshoe pitching association appeals to Greater Victora youngsters

Youth horseshoe pitching club offers fun for all ages, says GVHPA

Raptors beat Bucks 118-112 in 2OT thriller

Leonard has 36 points as Toronto cuts Milwaukee’s series lead to 2-1

‘Teams that win are tight’: B.C. Lions search for chemistry at training camp

The Lions added more than 50 new faces over the off-season, from coaching staff to key players

Rescue crews suspend search for Okanagan kayaker missing for three days

71-year-old Zygmunt Janiewicz was reported missing Friday

B.C. VIEWS: Reality of our plastic recycling routine exposed

Turns out dear old China wasn’t doing such a great job

B.C. ferry stops to let black bear swim past near Nanaimo

Queen of Oak Bay brakes for wildlife in Nanaimo’s Departure Bay

Mother dead, child in critical condition after carbon monoxide poisoning at Shuswap campground

The woman was found unresponsive insider her tent and the youth was taken via air ambulance to hospital

Canada’s parole officers say correctional system has reached breaking point

About half of Canada’s federal parole officers work inside penitentiaries and correctional institutions

Montreal researchers create audible hockey puck for visually impaired players

Three years ago, Gilles Ouellet came up with the idea for a puck that makes a continuous sound

Most Read