Skip to content

UPDATE: Bodies removed from Cadboro Bay home

Identities still unconfirmed by police
Bodies from home on Cadboro Bay
Two bodies are removed by the B.C. Coroner Service from a home in the 3900 block of Cadboro Bay Rd. Wednesday afternoon. Saanich police have not released any information on the individuals discovered inside Tuesday or their causes of death.

Two people believed to be retired grandparents were found dead in a waterfront home in Cadboro Bay Tuesday afternoon.

Saanich police were called by someone inside the home who discovered the bodies.

"This is a slow, methodical, resource-intensive investigation," said Sgt. Dean Jantzen Wednesday morning. Police are releasing few details about the scene and their investigation.

The causes of death are still unknown, as are any identifications of the individuals found inside.

The private home, located at 3931 Cadboro Bay Rd., is owned by Erich and Kathy Mueller, and is regularly rented out to visiting tourists, neighbours say.

A family member who spoke with the News Wednesday morning did not want to comment on the situation, saying she was still unsure exactly what's going on.

"It's a terrible, terrible tragedy," neighbour Mary Ann Fenimore said. "It's a wonderful neighbourhood and we're all just in a sense of grief."

Erich is a retired civil engineer originally from Saskatchewan. Kathy, originally from the U.S., is a career counsellor and former teacher.

Detectives and major crimes investigators were at the home for the evening and overnight Tuesday, scouring the property and adjacent beach for any possible clues.

Early Wednesday morning, officers obtained a search warrant to enter the home.

B.C. Coroner Barb McLintock arrived on scene around 12:45 p.m. Wednesday. The bodies were removed a few hours later.

Police were initially alerted around 2:45 p.m., Tuesday when someone who knew the couple discovered the bodies inside the home and called for help.

As of late Wednesday afternoon police were expecting the property would be part of their investigation "for days," Jantzen said.

Autopsies were scheduled to take place Thursday.

Though the cause of death is unknown, police say there is currently no immediate threat to the public. They're asking anyone who may have information to come forward.

"If you noticed anything suspicious or unusual – really in the last couple days (before Tuesday) – that you think might be relevant, please give us a call," Jantzen said.