Amanita phalloides

Victoria toddler dies after ingesting poisonous mushroom

A three-year-old boy has died after ingesting a poisonous mushroom in downtown Victoria.

A three-year-old boy has died after ingesting a poisonous mushroom in downtown Victoria.

The boy was foraging for mushrooms with his family at an undisclosed location in the downtown core last week.

After ingesting the mushroom, the toddler was treated at Victoria General Hospital, before he was airlifted to a hospital in Edmonton earlier this week. He died in hospital last night.

Specimens collected at the site in which the family was foraging suggests the boy ingested an Amanita phalloides mushroom, also known as the “death cap” mushroom. However, tests are still ongoing.

We would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the child’s family,” said Dr. Richard Stanwick, chief medical health officer for Island Health.

This tragedy reinforces how important it is for recreational mushroom hunters to know the difference between a poisonous and non-poisonous mushroom. To the untrained eye, it’s easy to mistake a toxic mushroom for an edible one.”

This is the first recorded death in the province from a person ingesting a death cap mushroom.

Death cap mushrooms are ordinary in appearance. They are mainly white, with a white or yellowish stem, a cap that ranges from yellowish-green to light brown that is round when young and flattens with age.

According to Stanwick, they grow in remote settings and are becoming more common in urban areas such as Victoria.

 

Just Posted

Police investigating incident in Saanich neighbourhood

Neighbours tell Black Press Media that a body has been found, but police have remain tightlipped.

Panels proliferate in Victoria’s Commercial Alley Art Gallery

City artist Fern Long’s themed works will be on display through August 2020

Graffiti clean up costs Victoria businesses roughly $1M a year

Business association teams up with city in campaign to reduce graffiti in downtown

Mixed-use density proposed for Oak Bay Avenue

Parking prioritized despite proximity to amenities

Victoria woman experiencing homelessness wants systematic changes as she faces losing her truck

Willi Boepple fears losing one of her last possessions after being inundated with parking tickets

WATCH: Family dog missing after fire tears through Metchosin home

Firefighters continue to monitor for hot spots

It’s snow joke: Up to 30 cm of snow expected to fall in northeastern B.C.

Alaska Highway, Fort Nelson to be hit with August snowstorm, according to Environment Canada

Ferries employees participating in Denman Island cleanup for plastic-shedding ferry

The cleanup comes a few weeks after one organized by residents of the Island

Discussion on grief and loss between Stephen Colbert, Anderson Cooper goes viral

The exchange includes emotional question from Cooper, and outlook on grief as a child

Toronto activist calling on federal parties to nominate more black candidates

Fewer than 20 black Canadians have been nominated so far, including some Liberal MPs seeking re-election

Portland, Oregon, awaits right-wing rally, counter protests

Patriot Prayer’s Joey Gibson surrendered Friday on an arrest warrant for felony rioting

Kraft Heinz brand baby food recalled in B.C. due to possibility of insects

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency says the product should not be consumed

First Nations women finally to be treated equally under Indian Act: Bennett

Canadian Feminist Alliance for International Action thanked the feds

Helicopter-riding dog Mr. Bentley now featured on cans of new B.C.-made beer

Partial proceeds from every pack go to Children’s Wish

Most Read