Johnson Street Bridge problems “extremely troubling” for mayor

Lisa Helps promises not to undergo another infrastructure project in the same way that the Johnson Street Bridge has been rolled out.

Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps promises not to undergo another infrastructure project in the same way that the Johnson Street Bridge has been rolled out.

“I promise that we will never do another infrastructure project in the way that we’ve done this one, if there’s any comfort for the public in that,” she said.

During last week’s governance and priorities meeting, city council voted to postpone an additional $2.253 million requested by PCL, the contractor, to build the Johnson Street Bridge until they’re given an update on the quality of the products and have the opportunity to gather more information.

“Exceedingly frustrated. The fact that we’ve gone back to fabricate a second bridge in China and now there are problems with the second round is extremely troubling,” Helps said. “We expect (PCL) to get it back on track, in whatever way they want to do that. That’s their responsibility.”

The steel, being produced at the Jiangsu Zhongtai Steel Structure plant, has been riddled with problems over the past few years.

In 2014, steel fabrication of the main bridge trusses and a large ring rotating mechanism was rejected. Most recently, 75 cracked welds were detected on the steel deck surface, pushing the arrival of the steel to the end of 2016.

Ross Crockford, director of Johnsonstreetbridge.org, a watch dog of the project, said problems with the steel are symptoms of a much larger problem.

“The problems with the steel are a symptom of a much larger problem and that is that this is an experimental, untested design,” he said. “The working component is novel. It’s interesting to engineers, but the average person won’t care. They just want something that works and looks good. It doesn’t have to have a completely unique lifting mechanism.”

Coun. Ben Isitt asked if it would be possible to abandon the current design in favour of a more standard one. However, project director Jonathan Huggett advised against it.

The lift bridge was approved by the previous council in 2009 with a total cost of roughly $63 million and was supposed to be in use by September of this year.

The completion date has now been pushed back from spring 2017 to early 2018, with estimated completion costs ringing in at $98 million, if additional costs are approved.

 

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Greater Victoria’s first BC Cannabis Store could open at Saanich shopping centre

Store application for Uptown Shopping Centre headed for public hearing

Royal B.C. Museum reopens in phases, some galleries remain closed to start summer

Victoria museum and archives open first galleries June 19

Study looks at feasibility of Vancouver Island abattoir

South Island Prosperity Partnership funds study looking at local meat processing

Homeless shelter at Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre creates 40 jobs

The arena can house 45 people in pop-up pods

B.C. records no new COVID-19 deaths for the first time in weeks

Good news comes despite 11 new test-positive cases in B.C. in the past 24 hours

Tahsis opens its gates to visitors to save local economy

Seasonal local businesses that rely on tourism hope to survive despite drop in tourist numbers

BC Corrections to expand list of eligible offenders for early release during pandemic

Non-violent offenders are being considered for early release through risk assessment process

Facing changes together: Your community, your journalists

The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the world in ways that would have… Continue reading

Fraser Valley driver featured on ‘Highway Thru Hell’ TV show dies

Monkhouse died Sunday night of a heartattack, Jamie Davis towing confirmed

Island city cancels plan for homeless camp; exploring alternative option

The plan heard strong objection from neighbouring residents and businesses

B.C. visitor centres get help with COVID-19 prevention measures

Destination B.C. gearing up for local, in-province tourism

36 soldiers test positive for COVID-19 after working in Ontario, Quebec care homes

Nearly 1,700 military members are working in long-term care homes overwhelmed by COVID-19

Most Read