Victoria Battalion Chief Vince Cullen was on the scene of the kitchen fire Sunday evening. A family of five who live in the house are safe, as no one was home at the time of the fire. (Keri Coles/Oak Bay News)

Pot left on stove causes Victoria house fire

Family of five not at home at the time

Victoria Fire crews responded to a call of a house fire just before 5 p.m. Sunday evening. When crews arrived at a residence on the corner of Leighton Road and Amphion Street, they encountered the upper level of the house enveloped in thick, dark smoke coming from the vents in the roof.

Firefighters forced their way in through a door and found the source of the blaze in the kitchen. An unattended pot on the stove had caught fire, spreading to the cupboards but contained in the kitchen.

“There was no one home at the time. The husband, wife, and three children were out,” said Victoria Fire Battalion Chief Vince Cullen. “One of the neighbours contacted them to tell them the fire department was here and they were back here pretty quick.”

The cost of the damage is estimated at $100,000, due to significant smoke damage as well as water damage from fire extinguishers. Cullen said most of the destruction was contained to the upper level of the home, sparing the lower level.


 

keri.coles@oakbaynews.com

Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

House Fire Victoria

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Greater Victoria real estate sales numbers tell two stories for July

Real estate board president Sandi-Jo Ayers talks about pent-up spring demand, low inventory

Downtown Victoria’s on-street parking time limits, rates back in effect

City reinstates restrictions, extends reduced rates for parkades and other metered areas

Teachers need more time to prepare for fall reopening, says Greater Victoria Teachers’ Association

GVTA president says class schedules need to be reworked for cohort model

Turf replacement installed at Oak Bay High

New Astroturf will be ready for school, sports still cancelled

View Royal mayor victimized in CERB identity theft scam

David Screech shocked to find his CRA account was accessed, his banking information changed

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers wanted list for the week of Aug. 4

Greater Victoria Crime Stoppers is seeking the public’s help in locating the… Continue reading

POLL: Should it be mandatory to wear masks when out in public?

B.C. is witnessing an alarming rise in the number of cases of… Continue reading

Three screening officers at Vancouver airport test positive for COVID-19

The public is not believed to be at risk of exposure

VIDEO: B.C. conservation officers free not-so-wily coyote with head stuck in jar

Poor pup was found with a glass jar stuck on its head in Maple Ridge

‘Do our lives count for less?’: COVID-19 exposes cracks in disability aid

In July, Parliament approved a $600 payment for people with disabilities facing additional expenses during COVID-19

Agreement between province, BC Hydro, First Nation, ends legal fight over Site C

B.C. will work to improve land management and restore traditional place names in areas of cultural significance

Investigators still hoping to solve 2015 homicide of Penelakut Island woman

Tips being sought into Penelakut Island woman’s death five years ago

B.C. doctors, dentists call on province for mandatory mask rule

Open letter says masks should be worn in indoor public spaces, public transportation or in crowds

Most Read