Public golf course tweaked to cut down on wayward balls

Errant golf balls sliced off the 18th hole are technically no longer a problem for people living next door to the Cedar Hill golf course. That’s because what had been the final hole is now the ninth.

Errant golf balls sliced off the 18th hole are technically no longer a problem for people living next door to the Cedar Hill golf course. That’s because what had been the final hole is now the ninth.

“What that does to things is it takes the late-night golfers, teeing off in the dark, off the 18th tee. … And it takes away that last effort to hit that towering 400-yard drive into the stratosphere,” said resident Bill Morrison, who worked with the municipality to come up with a solution in hopes of minimizing damage to his and his neighbours’ homes.

Saanich made a number of changes to the publicly-owned course to appease residents upset about golf balls damaging private property near the fairway.

When parks and rec staff presented neighbours with a handful of options, including improved tree coverage, a 60-foot-high net and reconfiguring the course, neighbourhood consensus favoured the latter option.

However, enough people were not on board with the plan for the neighbourhood to decide against going ahead with it.

Instead, Saanich changed the hole numbers, with the front nine now the back nine and vice versa.

Tree coverage will also be improved.

New trees and hedges will be planted, starting in September, to help screen any balls veering off toward the houses, said Doug Henderson, Saanich’s manager of parks and rec.

“There’s economic and playability and esthetic issues that were contemplated here, so balancing all of those, this is the process that we’ve come up with,” he said.

The neighbourhood never had the mindset that “we don’t care how much it costs – just fix the problem,” said Morrison, whose Ocean View Road home has been damaged by stray balls in the past.

Instead, residents tried to find a solution that provided the greatest amount of good for the most people.

“I told them, ‘We’ve only got one shot at this. We can’t come back in three years and say we’re not happy.’ This, we support, and we hope it will solve the problems,” he said.

The hole renumbering is temporary. Saanich will review that decision in September to see if it’s supported and successful. If so, the new numbering will be made permanent.

kslavin@saanichnews.com

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

PHOTOS: A morning in a physically-distanced Victoria

Residents commute in a pandemic-changed city

‘Someone knows something’: a look into Vancouver Island missing persons with interactive map

There are more than three dozen people listed as missing throughout Vancouver Island

Summer program helps Greater Victoria teens sharpen writing skills

Registration for the program runs until Aug. 17

Saanich bylaw sparks EV charging infrastructure requirements in new builds

All new developments to be EV-charger compatible starting Sept. 1

Langford cuts red tape, engages in random acts of kindness to uplift spirits

‘I Am Langford’ campaign promotes supporting local

QUIZ: Are you ready for a summer road trip?

How much do you really know about roads, motor vehicles and car culture? Take this quiz to find out.

Beverly Hills 90210 star’s family selling Vancouver Island Beach Resort

You can own Jason Priestley’s Terrace Beach Resort in Ucluelet for less than $5 million

Genetic detectives begin work to trace spread of COVID-19 in Canada

The kinds of genetic technology being used for this project did not exist when SARS hit Canada in 2003

Sports fishers protest Fraser River Chinook closures

Public Fishery Alliance wants hatchery fish open for harvest

B.C. Ferries increasing passenger capacity after COVID-19 restrictions

Transport Canada 50-per-cent limit being phased out, no current plans to provide masks

Shellfish industry get funds to clean up at Island sites and beyond

Businesses can apply to cover half of costs to clean up so-called ‘ghost gear’

Amber Alert for two Quebec girls cancelled after bodies found

Romy Carpentier, 6, Norah Carpentier, 11, and their father, Martin Carpentier, missing since Wednesday

B.C. man prepares to be first to receive double-hand transplant in Canada

After the surgery, transplant patients face a long recovery

Grocers appear before MPs to explain decision to cut pandemic pay

Executives from three of Canada’s largest grocery chains have defended their decision to end temporary wage increases

Most Read