Tent camp beside Victoria courthouse May 1

Safety deadline set for Victoria tent camp

Fire order must be followed by May 25 or B.C. government goes back to court to shut down 'SuperIntentCity', Rich Coleman says

If the residents of the downtown Victoria tent camp haven’t complied with a fire safety order by May 25, the province will go back to court for an order to remove it, Housing Minister Rich Coleman says.

The B.C. Fire Commissioner inspected the courthouse camp in early May and found that the crowded collection of tents and structures is a fire hazard to people and other property. Coleman said enforcing that order is what the province needs to return to B.C. Supreme Court, which rejected an earlier application for an injunction to clear the camp.

“The fire protection order for life and safety is critical for us to be able to go back to court,” Coleman said. “At the same time we would introduce the crime stats to the court to get the ability to act.”

One reason for the earlier injunction rejection was the lack of alternative shelter. Coleman said the province has now provided 180 spaces, including rooms at the former Mount Edwards nursing home and subsidized rental accommodation.

He said the ministry started with a plan to house 60 people at the camp who claimed they were homeless.

“One thing they won’t be able to say is that they have nowhere to go, because we’ve provided a bed for every one of them,” Coleman said. “We’ve actually housed this camp three times over.”

 

Just Posted

Woodwynn Farms to be shut down and sold

The rehabilitation program at Woodwynn Farms is being shut down. According to… Continue reading

Langford loses bid to host Amazon HQ2

Mayor hopes to attract more tech jobs to city

Whooping cough detected in Claremont student

15 Greater Victoria schools have been informed of a student with pertussis since September

VIDEO: Protesters chain doors shut at DFO office in Saanich

Fish farm protesters removed from Commerce Circle for a second time

Pedestrian in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries after being struck in View Royal

Incident closed Island Highway for several hours Wednesday night

WATCH: Giant waves smash Ucluelet’s Amphitrite Point

Folks made their way to Ucluelet’s Amphitrite Point Lighthouse on Thursday, Jan.… Continue reading

Saanich signals support for in-fill developments in Gorge-Tillicum

The Gorge-Tillicum neighbourhood continues to experience infill. Council’s committee-of-the-whole signaled Saanich’s support… Continue reading

Opinion: Dare to be smarter

Just say no works for more than just substance abuse

‘Sing Me a Song’ about B.C. for a chance at $1,000 contest prize

Entries due by March 30 for lieutenant-governor’s British Columbia-themed competition

Facing reality of death, B.C. man learns real meaning of life

Even while preparing for the end, something inside Keven Drews won’t let him stop living

Former B.C. fire chief gets seven months for possession of child porn

The 63-year-old pleaded guilty during a brief hearing last year to one count

B.C. VIEWS: Public school ‘crisis’ doesn’t exist

More teachers pour in, union wants results suppressed

Late charge in Portland sees Victoria collect third straight WHL win

Matthew Phillips leads the way with three-point night in 4-2 win, Giants up next

UPDATE: Hold-and-secure lifted after Nanaimo RCMP locate student who threatened self-harm

Eight schools were under hold-and-secure orders after possible threat Thursday, Jan. 18

Most Read