Trust fund helps Victoria family displaced by fire

A trust fund has been set up in support of a family that lost their house in a fire. Kelly Dunsdon and Albert Rode were left homeless, and Rode injured, when their house at 2754 Forbes St. was gutted by a blaze on March 6. Rode was burned trying to put out the fire that consumed virtually everything the couple owned. “They are currently staying in temporary accommodation, but will of course be seeking more permanent accommodation as it will take many months to rebuild their lives,” their friend Stephen Dunn said in an e-mail. A Dunsdon-Rode trust fund has been set up through Coast Capital Savings Credit Union to help the couple and Dunsdon’s teenage son. Donations can be made at any branch. The fire was caused by a spark from the wood-burning fireplace, which ignited the couch in the livingroom, said Victoria fire Insp. Chris Royle. He added screens should be used in front of wood-burning fireplaces and flammable materials should be kept at a safe distance.