Skip to content

LETTER: Cannabis users need to be more aware of the dangers to dogs

(Black Press Media file photo)

Nine times. That’s how many times my puppy has eaten someone’s carelessly discarded marijuana butt.

The first time was when she was just 14 weeks old. We thought we were going to lose her.

The Central Victoria Veterinary Hospital is on first-name terms with her now.

Dogs are attracted to cannabis and can sniff it out and eat it before you even realize there is a dangerous hazard on the side of the road.

Most of our incidents occurred in our own neighbourhood of Allbay/Harbour Road in Sidney with some in our local parks.

I really wish marijuana users were more aware of the dangers to dogs and that they would discard their butts in a more responsible way, saving me from the terrible distress and great financial cost of dealing with a very sick young dog.

Holly Roy