UPDATE: Trial for accused Bacon killers continues

Khun Khun, McBride and Jones are each charged with one count of murder, four counts of attempted murder and numerous gun charges

UPDATE:

Justice Allan Betton has dismissed an application to have all all charges against the three men accused of fatally shooting B.C. gangster Jonathan Bacon dropped.

Jujhar Khun-Khun, Jason McBride and Michael Jones’ laywers had applied to have the charges dropped based the time it took for this case to come to trial.

Justice Betton denied that application and is expected to give his reasons for that decision at a later date.

Khun Khun, McBride and Jones are each charged with one count of murder, four counts of attempted murder and numerous gun charges.

The trial continues today in Kelowna.

More to come.

—-

ORIGINAL:

The three men accused of fatally shooting B.C. gangster Jonathan Bacon in broad daylight six years ago may learn today whether the charges against them will be dropped.

The application process to have charges dropped against Jujhar Khun-Khun, Jason McBride and Michael Jones wrapped up a week ago, and Justice Allan Betton hadn’t made a decision as that process wrapped up. In court, he said that he would likely reach a decision by today and let the evidence continue.

The application is based on the Supreme Court of Canada’s ruling in R. v. Jordan, which set out a new framework for analyzing a violation of the Charter.

To get the matter to trial was above the 30-month threshold established in the Jordan case for trials in Superior Court, which means the Crown was required to show exceptional circumstances to rebut the presumption that the delay was unreasonable.

Khun Khun, McBride and Jones are each charged with one count of murder, four counts of attempted murder and numerous gun charges.

Bacon, a Red Scorpion gang member, was shot to death outside the Delta Grand Hotel on Aug. 14, 2011. In his vehicle during the attack were Larry Amero, a Hells Angel, James Riach, of the Independent Soldiers, and two women. One of the women, Leah Hadden-Watts , was paralyzed in the incident. The other remains unnamed.

The trio were arrested in 2013.

Just Posted

Island Corridor Foundation optimistic about restoring rail service

If green-lighted, first priority would be Langford to Victoria route

Esquimalt senior’s complex getting redeveloped

The Esquimalt Lions Lodge is one of the projects to receive funding for affordable housing

Firefighters rescue horse stuck in Saanich mud

‘It happens more often than you’d think,’ says deputy chief

Active investigation into reported sexual assault at CFB Esquimalt

An Oct. 5 allegation is being investigated by Canadian Forces National Investigation Service

Federal environment minister faces protesters in B.C.

Catherine McKenna defended her government’s environmental record during a funding announcement in Victoria

People flocking to Vancouver Island city to see hundreds of sea lions

Each year the combination of Steller and California sea lions take over Cowichan Bay

Humans reshaping evolutionary history of species around the globe: paper

University of British Columbia researcher had the paper published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society

POLL: Have BC Ferry waits ever forced you to cancel your travel plans?

Many BC Ferry passengers heading out from Swartz Bay to Tsawwassen on… Continue reading

Toronto ‘carding’ activist Desmond Cole stopped by police in Vancouver

Cole says his experience reveals what daily life is like for black and Indigenous residents

Dog psychic can help Vancouver Islanders better connect with their pets

Michele Wonnacott hosts one-day seminar in Nanaimo on Saturday, Nov. 17

Commercial trucks banned from left lane of Coquihalla

B.C.’s Ministry of Transportation has introduced a new program that hopes to prevent accidents and closures on the Coquihalla Highway.

B.C. on track to record same number of overdose deaths as last year

128 people died of overdoses in September, bringing the total to more than 1,100 so far in 2018

Cowichan school district defends lack of notice to parents following elementary student arrest

Officials with School District 79 stand by their decision not to send out an alert.

Canadians more prepared for weather disaster than financial one: poll

RBC recommends people check their bank app as often as the weather app

Most Read